I took my son fly fishing for bluegill for the first time yesterday at a local park. This is a old quarry mine in Berea, OH called Coe Lake around 20-30 acres. Most of the lake is shallow 2-8 feet with thick vegetation with some spots getting down to 20-30 feet. The city has built a pier that reachs 200 feet into the water with a nice drop off, from 3 feet to 12 feet or so off south side of it. I love to fish this lake from my canoe and it has nice populations of crappie, bass, catfish and of course blue gill. I did not bring my camera but I will next time and post some pictures of both the fish and the fantastic view.

I have fished with him since he was old enough to hold a rod. I never pushed him into flyfishing. He was always a worm soaker. This year he started to show an instrest in fly fishing and I decided it was the right time. He will be turning 13 in August. After a short time he was able to cast about fifteen feet and hooked into some nice green sunfish. I was able to walk around the lake showing him the nests and explaining to him what was happening. I could not have asked for a better situation to show him what I know of fly fishing for bluegill.