+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fly request

Default fly request

Greetings everyone

i am going to the Isle of Palms (Charleston, SC) for a week this summer and have the opportunity to go into the salt marshes and try for drum and anything else that lives in the channels. Are there any patterns i should tie that would be good for this area? i already have two shrimp flies that i tied yesterday ( ill post pics later) and a couple small darter patterns.

Thanks

Jordan

I'd take along some Jiggy's in brown/orange, brown/yellow along with some clousers in back country colors as well. I was nailing reds in Virginia last summer with those and also got good resoponses from a foxee red minnow with gold flash.

Jeff

Spoon flies in darker (brown-maroon) weedguard necessary

Also in that area you will find seatrout (if you have access to a boat)

thanks for the advice.
    i already tied some of the foxy reds. they are really easy

we will be in kayaks and paddling from beach to beach.

and dmdmd, what is a spoon fly?

im not actually using a fly fishing outfit because 1) i dont have one and 2) im not willing to buy one......yet...... not sure how im gonna rig them yet. i just wanted to use flies because ive tried natural bait b4 and they just rip it off the hook (stupid crabs).

any more advice is welcome

thanks

Jordan

If your not going to use a fly rod I don't think it's really worth it to try using flies. There are plenty of lures for regular tackle that would be much better suited to a spinning or casting rod than trying to make a fly work with it in my opinion. The only effective way I've heard of fishing flies on a spinning rod is under a float and I don't know how effective that would be for redfish and trout.

Look at johnson silver minnow spoons and DOA's soft baits to get you started.

If you do try it though, I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

i will post results after i go. this is kinda planning waaaaaay in advance. im not going til the middle of june but i thought id tie some up and see how they look in the water. i actually plan on just putting them on the rod and sticking the rod behind me in the kayak. kind of like trolling. im puttin a fair amout of weight on all of them so i can cast but we'll see.

thanks

Jordan

+ Reply to Thread