+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rising Trout Fly Shop Grayling

Hybrid View

Default Rising Trout Fly Shop Grayling

I see the former Fly Factory Location in Grayling has a new name & ownership.

" The Rising Trout Flyshop"

I guess Steve Southard is out of the fly shop business. I wonder how this place will do being it's across the street from the Old Ausable Fly shop which formerly housed the Fly Factory/Ray's Canoes. Anyone know what Steve Southard is doing now?

I was looking at the address and it is 205 Ingram and the "Old Ausable Fly Shop" is 200 Ingram in the old Fly factory building. I am told the Steve Southard opened a flyshop across the street, I asume that is the shop you mentioned?
    -Jeff

I discovered the website for Rising Trout last night in wee hours. I called them today. Southard isn't the owner but he owns the building and rents it out. I guess the thing is to check it out next time I'm there. It's located across from Old Ausable's location. Things change. Back in the 90's the old factory and canoe livery was quite a money maker. Back then one could not imagine that place falling on hard times, but then who would have thought GM would be bankrupt?

Steve did not have a reputation as the sharpest business man. Personally, I got tired of waiting for service in his shop while he chatted endlessly with the only other person there- a personal friend of his. Happened to lots of guys. Doesn't make him a bad guy, just not on top of the business thing.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck441 View Post
    Steve did not have a reputation as the sharpest business man. Personally, I got tired of waiting for service in his shop while he chatted endlessly with the only other person there- a personal friend of his. Happened to lots of guys. Doesn't make him a bad guy, just not on top of the business thing.

Chuck
    Could be but I could list times in other shops where I've experienced the same treatment. I'd say more than anything the slow down in the fly fishing industry and the poor Michigan economy did most of the Damage. In my last few trips to Grayling the town has really gone down. Many businesses closed up. All over you see properties for sale. In summers Grayling was a bustling place but lately it's been bad. Considering the number of independant fishing and fly shops that have went out of business in Michigan the last few years, what happened at the Fly Factory isn't unique

Eric,
    how often do you get up there. I am there atleast twice a month and try to support Andy at the old Ausable. He has been good to me. As far as Grayling goes, I don't spend much time down town but it seems to be doing as good as it ever has. I don't see the businesses closing and property values dropping nearly as fast as down state.
    -Jeff

+ Reply to Thread