+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First grassies

Default First grassies

I've caught lots of common carp before, but never any grassies. Until today.

Caught 4, lost two, broke off one. Good day. Nothing huge, but I'll take it.

Blog Entries

What is your technique? What fly? Give us the 411, please!
    Steve

Okay, I cheated a little bit... I caught them on a bread fly. Bleached deer hair spun and packed. I tried some grass flies at first, and got some looks, but no solid takes. My color was a little off from the grass around the pond I think.

So I ran home real quick and grabbed some bread and chummed a little (does that make me a bad fly fisherman?) and that was the ticket.

Did you catch them on the feed or just blind fishing?

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I was sight fishing. When I first arrived, I could see the fish but they weren't really feeding. So I tossed some grass clipping in the pond, and they started feeding on those, but by fly didn't exactly match. So that's when I switched to the bread and was able to catch them feeding on that.

regardless of method it looked like fun to me.

I've tied up some flies for them, but have never attached one to my fly line. When I see grass carp, they usually see me, and the best I can do is spook them! I REALLY wanna hook into one!

Good job getting a hook in some!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

after you have spooked them, find a place to sit. in a half an hour or so they should return near the same spot. cast about two feet in front of your target & let the fly sink. twitch the fly as the carp closes the distance to about a foot in front of your fly. the carp will either take your fly or pass by it.

Bill

Today during lunch, I FINALLY spotted some without spooking them, and made some decent casts to several fish with a grass carp fly. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to be eating, nor interested in eating, and pretty much ignored the fly.

I couldn't get anything else to hit either...watched a decent catfish nudge my fly with its nose, but didn't bite, and the bluegills wouldn't take anything either. Finicky buggers today!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I went back today with the 3 wt (had the 7 wt yesterday). Managed to catch one and missed a couple others. Unfortunately no picture, though, as the fish escaped to freedom as I was trying to get the camera ready.

+ Reply to Thread