Hello all, I am a new/aspiring FF in East Central FL. I met a few folks on the chat this week so thought I would post an introduction and some questions. I have no gear yet because I obsess over research before I buy stuff (and then make a rash buying decision anyway) but am getting closer to deciding on my first setup. I am a fairly new fisherman in general having started last year so I have to learn all the basic fish stuff as well as the fly specific stuff

I am making assumptions here so please chime in with corrections or suggestions. I intend to fish mostly for LM bass, redfish, and Speckled Trout so I am about settled on an 8 wt to start with. I have heard it is not ideal to learn on one that heavy but I really don't want to buy smaller now only to upgrade so I hope the 8 will work.

Anyway, here is what i am considering. I have 3 kids so budget is a major consideration (also read as "I am always broke") Since I need most everything I am looking at combos but am concerned about the reel in most cases since I will be in salt sometimes.

looking at:
Reddington Crosswater outfit
Albright Topwater outfit
Cabela's Traditional II (w 3forks reel) outfit
BassPro White River Dogwood Canyon outfit
BassPro TFO Series 1 with White River reel outfit

All run around $90-$130 which is about what I can do right now. The Albright and Cabela's would have to be mail order which is less than ideal but I have heard some good comments on them. If you think there are some better options in that range please let me know.

Some additional questions:

1) 2 or 4 piece? I'm not sure I need the 4 piece transportability because my fishing is usually close to home. Is there a performance difference?

2) length? Most have a 9' offering and since I don't know any better that's where I am leaning. I fish from a canoe on lakes today and boat/wade the salt flats and mangroves. The environments are so different I know any way I go is a compromise.

3) salt? Am I OK in the salt with the snake guides if I rinse well? Will most of these reels survive with good maint?

Anyway, hello again and thanks to those who have already offered some info on the chats.

-Craig
Deltona, FL