+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New guy in FL

Default New guy in FL

Hello all, I am a new/aspiring FF in East Central FL. I met a few folks on the chat this week so thought I would post an introduction and some questions. I have no gear yet because I obsess over research before I buy stuff (and then make a rash buying decision anyway) but am getting closer to deciding on my first setup. I am a fairly new fisherman in general having started last year so I have to learn all the basic fish stuff as well as the fly specific stuff

I am making assumptions here so please chime in with corrections or suggestions. I intend to fish mostly for LM bass, redfish, and Speckled Trout so I am about settled on an 8 wt to start with. I have heard it is not ideal to learn on one that heavy but I really don't want to buy smaller now only to upgrade so I hope the 8 will work.

Anyway, here is what i am considering. I have 3 kids so budget is a major consideration (also read as "I am always broke") Since I need most everything I am looking at combos but am concerned about the reel in most cases since I will be in salt sometimes.

looking at:
    Reddington Crosswater outfit
    Albright Topwater outfit
    Cabela's Traditional II (w 3forks reel) outfit
    BassPro White River Dogwood Canyon outfit
    BassPro TFO Series 1 with White River reel outfit

All run around $90-$130 which is about what I can do right now. The Albright and Cabela's would have to be mail order which is less than ideal but I have heard some good comments on them. If you think there are some better options in that range please let me know.

Some additional questions:

1) 2 or 4 piece? I'm not sure I need the 4 piece transportability because my fishing is usually close to home. Is there a performance difference?

2) length? Most have a 9' offering and since I don't know any better that's where I am leaning. I fish from a canoe on lakes today and boat/wade the salt flats and mangroves. The environments are so different I know any way I go is a compromise.

3) salt? Am I OK in the salt with the snake guides if I rinse well? Will most of these reels survive with good maint?

Anyway, hello again and thanks to those who have already offered some info on the chats.

-Craig
    Deltona, FL

Craig,
    I wish I could answer your questions, but I'm a small stream trout fisher. I can, however, welcome you to this board. I really think you'll like it here. Feel free to jump right in with questions, opinions, and suggestions.

New guy brings the coffee and donuts.
    Betty Hiner

PS ... hang in there, others will take off from where I left. You'll have more suggestions on rods, reels, lines, everything(!), than you could ever wrap your mind around!
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 06-04-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Smile Florida Fishing

Craig,

It was good 'talking' with you the other night in the Chat Room.

If you get the Redington Crosswater, get the CW 9082 175yds/20lb 9' 1x 9' 8 CW7/8/9 for 160.00. This comes with corrosion-resistant anodized aluminum hardware on saltwater models (handle B) and I guarantee you will like having the handle B rather than a handle A when it come to jamming the butt of the rod into your stomach when fighting a decent fish.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Craig;
    Enjoyed chatting with you the other evening.

I believe you have to have 10 posts before you can send/recieve PM's so I'll add this to my post here.

I have a Cabela's Three forks 2 pc 9' 8 wt. and a coutland Endurance lll reel loaded with backing and a SA WF8F line. I bought the outfit for Michigan Steelhead and then moved to southern Tennessee so it's never been fished. I'll let it go cheap $130.00 including shipping. I can't stand to see a rod collect dust!!

I'm not sure of the salt water capabilities of the reel but if properly cared for it should last. It's a big reel, 4 1/8 " and I think I have about 200 yards of backing on it (been so long I forgot!).

My email address is jackhise@charter.net . Drop me a line if you are interested.

Blog Entries

First, welcome. Secondly, realize that I'm a professional kayak fishing guide and I'm sponosored by TFO. However, I wouldn't be sponsored by TFO if I didn't like their rods.

With that in mind, I feel that TFO's are the best rods for the buck -- without a doubt. Good rods for a really good price. If you're saltwater fishing, check out the Professional Series, TICR, TICX. The Axiom series is really good, but on the upper end of the price range.

For freshwater fishing, I love the Finesse Series.
    Steve

Hi Craig,

Been good talking with you in the chat. I'm not much help with the gear your looking for, but did want to welcome you!

Z

Welcome to the board! I dont have a lot advice on the gear set up , although it seems your on the right track. I hate to be the one to tell you but no matter what your first set up is there will surely be a second , a third , a forth and so on. Here on the Texas Gulf Coast 8 and 9 weights are the most common. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome aboard! I should warn you that ff is an addiction with no cure.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Craig, go with a 4-piece rod. The convenience and reduced danger of breaking while stored outweigh any other consideration. I have a Bass Pro Dogwood Canyon rig and 2 Cabela?s Traditional rods. Either is OK. Also look at the Scientific Angler beginners' sets sold at Wal-Mart. Once again, get a 4-piece over the 2-piece option. I have one of the Scientific Angler rigs and it is fine. Heavier lines are easier to cast but may tire you our sooner. Even if you were looking to cast only to minnows, I would advise a beginner to start out with nothing less than a 5-weight rig just to make casting easier.

regards,
    Ed

One further question - should I be learning using a basic WF floating line?
    Craig
    Deltona, FL

+ Reply to Thread