Sport fishing column for June 8 to 15, 2009

I know you are all waiting to here the results of the first annual Alouette Lake fishing derby; but I'm not going to say anything more than it was great. Not wanting to steal their thunder, I am leaving publication of all the details the awesome crew from the Maple Ridge Chamber of Commerce, who hosted the event.

Now mark your calendars for some other fun fishing activities this month: June 19-21, is our provincial free family fishing weekend. This means anyone can fish our nontidal waters, without a license for the all of fathers day weekend. To make this even better there will be no less than 47 venues hosted throughout the province to help you involve the kids. To find an event near you go to www.bcfamilyfishing.com and click in the events page. I also suggest you mark off June 27 & 28 to attend the Outdoor Lifestyles Show, coming to the Golden Ears Winter Club in Maple Ridge BC.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is very good. The stable barometer, moderate temperatures, and overcast mornings are the perfect combination to rack up high catch ratios. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Professor, Nations Black, Red Spratley, Baggy Shrimp, Carey Special, Souboo, Zulu, Halfback, Caddis Nymph, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, or Doc Spratley, Dragonfly Nymph. For dry (floating) try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Black Ant, Royal Coachman, Double Hackled Peacock, Adams, Tom Thumb, Big Ugly, Elk Hair Caddis, or Irresistible.

Our lower mainland kokanee fishing is first rate at present. It was amazing to see the numbers of kokanee that came out of Alouette Lake last weekend. To catch these tasty landlocked sockeye try: Red Abbis, Red Spratley, red Tom Thumb, red Leach, pink Leach, Happy Hooker, Cathy's Coat, of Pink Eve.

The local bass and panfish are happy too. For these kid friendly summer fish try: Clouser's Deep Minnow, Crayfish, Poppers, Big Black, Stimulator, Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Tied down Minnow, or Tom Thumb.

The fishing on all of our interior lakes has really taken off. Mornings and evenings are ticket with: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Nations Silver Tip, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Dragon Nymph, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Micro Leach, Big Black, Caddis Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp, for wet fly fishing and Tom Thumb, Adams, Royal Wulff, Lady McConnel, Black Gnat, Elk Hair Caddis, Griffith Gnat, Renegade, or Irresistible, for dry fly.

Our river reports are discontinued until our rivers at safer and more fishable levels.

At "Reel Life," we offer fly fishing classes for the budget minded angler. Call us at 604-820-4099.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".