+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with tying, knots and so forth.

Default Help with tying, knots and so forth.

I had an accident and I'm having some problems with a few things. My right hand is shaky, I've been having twintching and some numbness, tingling and so forth. I'm dropping things and now I can't hit the eye of a hook. I'm right handed so this poses a big problem. Anybody have any ideas or know of anything that can help me so I can tie my own knots and tie my flies like I used too?

hook threader and knot tool.

There are fly boxes that hold the flies on hook threaders in the box, much like the threader tool people who sew use to thread needles. You line up several of the same fly on each threader at home, where you can use a magnifier and rest your hand on something to steady it. Then changing flies on the water becomes very easy. You just poke your tippet through the large eye at the top of the threader and pull the fly off.

Try the Weaver's Knot shown in the FAOL knots section for your fly to tippet knot. It requires very little in the way of small motor skills and can be tied with very shaky fingers. It is even easier if you temporarily attach a little soft weight to the hook while you are tying the knot.

Good luck!

Like others on this board, I've been in chemo. Only real negative is numbness in my fingers. Never before appreciated how much we do by feel.

The threader tools are very helpful - as is a knot tying tool. (I've heard people make fun of them as gadgets - but it's the only way I could tie a fly on - regardless of tippet size.)

As for tying flies, I've had to use a small pliers to pick up hooks, put beads on them, get the hooks in the vise. Clumsy, inefficient, but it works. The numbness makes it more difficult to actually tie - but you can get the job done. Hang in there - it's worth it.

+ Reply to Thread