+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Albright rods.

Hybrid View

Default Albright rods.

I'm looking for a new 8' 5wt, and a 9' 8/9wt for the newly discovered bonefish possibilities our caribbean coasts have. Budget is number 1 factor for choosing the rod and I stumbled upon albright rods and their lower than low prices.

I have read Al Campbell's review but it was done in 2003 and the catalog has changed.

Al's conclusions are good and I'll have to assume the quality remains the same or maybe their rods have become better since his tests. (They even changed the name of one of their lines due to what appears to be AC's suggestion) But still I'd like to hear from people who have bought this rods recently.

If you know something about their reels it'd be nice to "hear" about it too. They have a "rod+reel= free spool" program that sounds just great! (Not to mention their "Buy 125U$ and up and get a free rod" program, that's just too good to let pass)

thx

Dave.
    Last edited by dphotoco; 06-03-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Yea, go for it.

Bought the 9 and 10 wt. travel rods for a recent trip to the Keys.
    Got a free 2 piece 8 weight in the deal.
    Total cost for 3 rods was $210. Sweet.

Used the 10 for Jacks -- no problem but I overloaded the reel with 11wt to throw poppers. Guess that's an even better endorsement.

Used the 9 for smaller fish, again no problem.

Both are pretty fast and not too heavy. Nice green finish on them.

Am going to give the 2 piece as a present. Don't have to tell 'em it was free.

Got a 6wt and an 8wt. Love them both. Their reels are good also.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Got a 3wt and a 6wt and they are good as backup rods.
    Nothing fancy but good value.
    I have an 7-8wt Gp reel and an extra spool bought in the clear-out sale also good value.
    The GP spool fits the GPX reel as well

Sometimes when I travel I am limited to the number of bags that I can take. The Albright 5 piece rods can fit nicely into my checked bag. This allows me to be able to take laptops and other items without difficulty and extra expense. I have their A5-4wt and A5-5wt rods. I like the A5-4wt. The 5wt is good for traveling situations like I have stated, but other wise it would not be the first rod chosen off the rack.

I have the GP 9' 5 wght, and also the 5/6 weight bugati reel. I love the reel. The drag is super smooth and not one catch in it. It is large arbor so it will allow lots of backing. You won't be dissapointed with the outfit.

Default albright rods and reels

When it comes to picking a rod for a good price you cant go wrong buying and Albright.

Default So, here's the wrap up:

I browsed ebay for any other bargains, found out a redington crosswater combo for 99 U$. However I can't seem to take the free rod promo from albright off my mind!!!

I looked for TFO but albright's prices really can't be beat.

If there are objective facts to take into account in favour of redington or TFO, I'd love to hear them, cause my mind is almost made up.

thx again y'all!!!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dphotoco View Post
    I browsed ebay for any other bargains, found out a redington crosswater combo for 99 U$. However I can't seem to take the free rod promo from albright off my mind!!!

I looked for TFO but albright's prices really can't be beat.

If there are objective facts to take into account in favour of redington or TFO, I'd love to hear them, cause my mind is almost made up.

thx again y'all!!!

Dave
    I recently ordered a 9' 8 WT XX, it should be getting here on Thursday. I talked to the owner on the phone when I placed my order. Seemed like a great guy, he actually talked me out of the A/5 (said that they were better at the lighter weights, and not as strong as the XX in the higher weights). I'm hopeful that it turns out to be a great rod. I own a TFO TiCr 6 Wt right now, and I enjoy that rod. However, after reading some reviews and things on this site, I felt like at worst I would be getting a rod equal to a TFO, and at best I would be getting a superior rod. Either way I would be saving about 40 dollars that I could use on flies, leaders, etc.

Having said all that, I'm constantly keeping my eyes open for a Redington CPS. I've read that they are awesome rods, and I want to get my hands on one.

Flyfish4troutguy Guest

I have teh Albright Gp 7/8 10 ft rod for steelheading. Great rod for the money think it was like $60 bucks or something near the christmas promotion. Reels aren't bad but I would say better quality in the rods than reels.

+ Reply to Thread