+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the board

Default Question for the board

I'm looking to get into inshore fishing for Redfish and Speckled Trout around Orange Beach/Biloxi marsh areas. I currently have a 6 wt (TFO TiCr), and I am in the market for a larger rod, an 8 or 9 wt. I'm not very experienced in Saltwater flyfishing, as most of my experience has been western trout fishing, bream and bass. I was wondering what some of your recommendations might be as far as rod sizes, etc. Is my 6 wt big enough? Or should i got with an 8 or 9, and if so which one? I'm looking for versatility, and I'm on a budget. I've been keeping my eyes open for Redington CPS rods, they seem to be the most bang for the buck. Any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated.

As far as the fish goes a 6 wt is enough for speckled trout. I use a fast 7 wt for specks. The problem may be the wind and the challenge of casting weighted or bulky flies. For a redfish I would go with at least an 8 wt. You may hook a 1 lb redfish, but you may hook a 10 lb redfish. Some redfish will make you wish for a 9 wt. If you fish the Dixie Bar, 20-30 lb redfish are common.

6wt is the minimum for inshore species. I fish a Scott Heliply 6wt inshore when the wind is down, but it has very good backbone for a 6wt. You can fish the 6wt, but a big redfish will whip your butt. The most versitile weight for inshore is an 8wt and this is the weight I fish most of the time.

I would suggest you find a medium/fast to fast action 8wt. You are not going to get blazing runs with specks or redfish, but you may hook into a big jack or mackeral. I would make sure you have a good drag on the reel.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...038&hasJS=true

Look at the TFO8964P, it comes with a reel (large arbor) for $259.95. Get the backing and a good saltwater line and you're good to go.

Jim

Would a 10 wt Redington CPS be overkill? Or would I be better off going w/ a 8 or 9?

Personally, I think the 10wt might be your best option now, but others may not agree. Its big for most trout and redfish, but if 20-30lbers are in the area it wouldn't be too much for them. And it gives you more versatility I think. Fight the wind even more than the 8/9 and you can go after bigger fish like tarpon with more comfort if you travel. My dad, brother and I took a trip with a guide in the Siesta Keys area of Florida and he had provided a 10wt outfit and all we were catching were mackeral, ladyfish, and the occasional trout. They might have been a little more fun on a lighter rod but I still had fun with it. Since space in the rod tube is limited (3 guys sharing one tube) the only flyrod I bring with me to Florida now is a 4pc 10wt (was a Cabelas but I broke that last year and haven't got it fixed yet so now its a Redington). As long as you can handle casting the bigger rod all day it shouldn't hurt you. I guess it really depends on your chances of catching bigger fish. If fish over 10lbs are very rare then you'll be in for the occasional scary moment with the 8, but if big fish are a once a trip type thing or more common and the winds are blowing more often than not I'd rather be a little overgunned for the little fish to handle the big ones.

That said, I am now considering picking up an 8wt to have an option in between the 6 and 10 but if I were sticking with one rod I'd stay with the 10. I just feel more comfortable knowing I've got a little more if I need it.

Does anybody have any experience with Albright rods? They have their 8 or 9 wt A/5 for $105 right now. I think this may be the rod to start out on, but I just wanted to know if you guys had any experience with them at all.

Default Repeat From another Thread

Smaller specks a 7 wt. is okay. Bigger specks will be an adventure.
    I would recommend an 8 wt. for both.

Bought the Albright 9 and 10 wt. travel rods for a recent trip to the Keys.
    Got a free 2 piece 8 weight in the deal.
    Total cost for 3 rods was $210. Sweet.

The rods worked very well.

You might also look at Cabelas for reels.

Go to Cabelas.com
    Click on Bargin Cave
    Click on Fly Fishin
    Click on Rods & Reels
    Click on Cabela's SLA Flyreels
    They are on sale for $50.
    True story.

Blog Entries

Albright rods?

They are a sponsor here, if they aren't quality, uphold their guarantee and basically treat people the way they should be treated they don't become or stay as sponsors.

I haven't used one, but based on the fact that they are sponsors is enough for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by RALMD11 View Post
    Would a 10 wt Redington CPS be overkill? Or would I be better off going w/ a 8 or 9?
    In my opinion a 10 wt is the worst weight rod you can own. It is too heavy for trout, redfish or snook and it is too light for tarpon. You probably won't even feel the typical size trout you will catch and I've seen tarpon explode 12 wts, so you can imagine what they could do to a 10 wt.

99% of what you will catch can be handled with an 8wt. Even a big red can be handled with an 8wt. They don't make fast runs or dramatic jumps. It's more of a steady pull, so if you have the backing, you can handle them.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread