+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bobbin Maintenance

Question Bobbin Maintenance

I have lots of thread bobbins...most work fine, but 3 of them tend to fray and break 8/0 and finer threads. The ID's of the barrels of these bobbins are pretty small. I'm thinking about being able to polish the inside surface of the barrels to get rid of any burrs that might be in there somewhere. Whatever's snagging the thread isn't at either end of these barrels. Is there any sort of a thread, wire, chenille, etc. that's impregnated with or coated with an abrasive of some sort?

Thanx,
    PRM
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

Just a thought, if the barrels are anything but ceramic, whatever you do to fix them will be very temporary. I have gone to all ceramic inserts or actual tips and I've been using several different models for years now without any problems. Bite the bullet, get rid of those metal tips and get the ceramics, you won't be sorry you did.
    Just my opinion. I tie almost daily year 'round so they get a lot of hard use.

kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I second the ceramic bobbins. The others seem like such a good deal because they are so much cheaper , but cheaper is what you get. Get a couple of Griffin ceramics or other good quality brand. When your tying a midge and the thread just seems to break for no apparent reason it sure makes you take a close look at your bobbins. The investment is well worth one less headache.

My only complaint with the ceramic bobbins is that the tip is thicker. I think mine is a griffin, but I can't swear to it. It gets difficult to tie in the gape on size 14 and below hooks.
    Is there a brand, not too expensive, with a thinner barrel? Of course, with my grace, thinner may not be better.
    One benefit of the cheap, metal bobbin holders, if you wear one out, throw it away and buy another one.

Kirk

Take some 800 grit or jewelers paper, wrap it around a sewing needle that will fit and work away. this technique will work but takes a little effort.
    Steve

it's easy to polish them and it only takes a minute. Get your drill out, use a very fine bit (much thinner then the bobbin), twist on (dub) steel wool to the bit. It's goes on easily. next polish away! I have even made a dubbing brush with steel wool and done it by hand.

check with a welder or auto shop. there are files small enough to clean the tips on welders and they work wonders to clean bobbins or to (more likely) take the little burrs off from the manufacturing process. They even come in different diameters, in small increments, so that you can work your way up to the proper file size.

like these

http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770085-.../dp/B0017Z04Q2
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4oldcars View Post
    Is there a brand, not too expensive, with a thinner barrel?
    Kirk
    tiemco bobbins
    www.wwdoak.com/FlyTying/TyingTools/TiemCerStand.jpg
    Last edited by Normand; 06-03-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PRM View Post
    I have lots of thread bobbins...most work fine, but 3 of them tend to fray and break 8/0 and finer threads.
    if you have lots of bobbins like you say above, retire the 3 bobbins in question for use with wire etc and use the good bobbins for thread.

I have been using metal tubed bobbins for years with no problems although the only one I'll use is a Matterelli. I still have my first one that has over 20 years of service.

ONCE, I suspected I had an issue with one of them and if I had to guess, I would almost guarantee it was at the tip. I got out the finest polishing point I could get for my Dremel, loaded it up with rouge and tried my best to jamb that point down the tube with the tool humming. If I didn't have a Dremel tool I would have used some high quality cream silver polish and a Q-Tip.

I don't know if I had a problem or not, but the bobbin is fine now. When it comes to getting a high polish on a bobbin tube, I really wouldn't try anything as coarse as a file, sandpaper or steel wool. It may seem like it is smooth, but when you are talking about the tiny fibers that are part of a strand of 8/0 thread, the question is whether it is smooth enough.

Just an FYI, I believe the Tiemco bobbins Normand posted the link to have the nice thin ceramic tubes you are after. I've eyed them many times but I am addicted to the Long Tube Matterelli metal bobbins and I have WAY too many bobbins at this point to start switching over.

+ Reply to Thread