+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chest fly boxes

Default chest fly boxes

Does anyone use/have used a Richardson chest fly box or a Downs chest fly box? I think I would like either one but would like to hear from some who have used them and could give me some good feedback on the pros/cons of each.

Try a Denver creel LOL if you are old enough to remember them.

Rich

Dear Bryan,

I think you are going to find that chest boxes are a decidedly North Eastern kind of thing.

For many years I used a Richardson knock-off. I was very happy with it, and I still think that there is no other way that is better to organize a dry fly selection. You could fit the flies in the trays in order of emergence and easily see what flies you were running short on.

I never really had a problem with the chest box getting in the way, or restricting my vision while wading. I have a big gut that does that all by itself.

I eventually got tired of the chest box and an over stuffed vest and switched to chest pack in an effort to consolidate.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

For many years I used a Richardson Chest Pack . I hadthe bottom one with 4 spools of tippet, the next one up with wet flies and nymphs and the top two with dries. I still have a 5th drawer if I ever want it. I also got the Amish made leather harness which has a wider top back/neck support. The only problem I had with it was my own doing...I put way too many flies in it!!! I stopped wearing a vest completely. I picked up a William and Joseph High Double this year and used it near the end of the season. It helped me keep the number of flies down but it a little tough getting used to. With either I have a water bottle holder.... One thing I've found is that these various chest packs, when you wear one with out a vest really help to cut down weight and the tons of extra stuff we all seem to bring onto the water with us..."just in case". ..

Bryan:

I used to have a Richardson knock-off and now have the real McCoy and have used it for years and I love it!

The biggest reason is that it freed me of my vest; something that drove me nuts when fishing when it was really hot & humid. Like JC said you might sweat a bit where the box sits against your chest but compared to a vest on a hot day it's nothing.

I modified my box so that I can swap & add trays so depending on the season I may have between 3-5 trays total. I made my own harness and added two small pouches to carry fly dope & few minor items. The remainder of what I carry is in two tiny pouches on a belt and that's it. Despite having about a dozen Wheatley boxes stashed away at home; I'll never go back to a vest or fly boxes.

I find it comfortable and unobtrusive and I have mine organized so finding flies is easy. It sure beats digging around in a vest or bag looking for fly boxes PLUS I never have to worry about dropping a full fly box in the water.

My advice is IF you want to try one; go with a Downs box first. The tray swapping ability and reasonable price make it a great first choice. The Richardson Box is classier but pricey when you have a few trays and you are pretty much stuck with that number of trays unless you're willing to modify it which voids your warranty. With the Downs box you can easily organize your trays and add or subtract as needed.

If you find you can deal with a permanent number of trays then you could graduate to a Richardson.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 13 December 2005).]

I use a Down's Fly Box. I love it. It is lightweight, and I usually only carry it with 3 boxes; sometimes only two.

They are interchangeable, so you take what you need to the stream, or to the pond.

Castwell, if you run into a fat guy, age 58, on a Missouri pond, or stream in Southern Missouri, you've found me.

------------------
    Swing hard, in case they throw the ball where you're swinging. Duke Snider
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

Freeing myself of a vest is what I am working toward. I am currently fishing with only a lanyard and 1-2 boxes in my pockets. This does limit my fly selection somewhat and the boxes are not really comfortable in my fishing shirt. I really like the modular design of the Downs fly box and the better price. I studied over the Richardson but could not come up with a satisfactory number of boxes or compartments to suit my fishing.
    I am going to consider a chest/lumbar pack such as a Fishpond, William Joseph, etc. before I make up my mind.

Bryan to get those boxes out of your shirt and as long as you are not a deep type wadder, pick up a fanny pack big enough for your fly boxes. I got one from the Fred Myer fishing department for under $9 and use it for all my wade fishing. If I do need to wade deep a run, the unit can be hooked around my chest without issue. The fanny pack and lanyard is all I use most of the time unless fishing the salt or in a lake from the Kayak. By the way the fanny pack I use holds 2 large and 2 small fly boxes, camera and other small junk in its 3 pockets without issue.

Dear Bryan,

If you are really serious about a chest pack may I suggest you look at the Orvis version?

It's about 100 bucks with the hydration bladder and 60 bucks without it.

Either version is considerable less than any of the other brands you mentioned yet it carries more stuff.

I have the $ 60.00 version and I love it. If you are a large person like me you will find that it has far more "adjustability" for bigger people.

Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

I think a 3 tray Downs Fly Box is about $70.

I do have a magnifier on mine.

At 5'10" and 300lb. I don't have any problems with the chest pack.

I fished the first week end in December with the Heart of America Fly Fishers.

Friday Morning it was 18 degrees when we started; and my chest pack was over a number of layers plus a GoreTex all weather jacket.

You don't see a lot of Downs Fly Boxes, but for flexibility and light weight access to all of my "stuff"; I think it's great.

------------------
    Swing hard, in case they throw the ball where you're swinging. Duke Snider
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

+ Reply to Thread