+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good source for inexpensive wood canoe paddles

Lightbulb Good source for inexpensive wood canoe paddles

I am looking for some wooden canoe paddles. As little investment as possible due to a situational shortage of funds. Fixer-uppers are welcome. Any ideas?
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. ~Norman Maclean~

New Adventures in the Old Outdoors

Blog Entries

put an add on your local craigs list, check with local canoe rental companies, they probably have some in a corner that are too beat to use for rentals but fixable.

other than that wallmart has them.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I can get Wooden canoe paddles at walmart for under 20 bucks, and they seems to hold up just fine. Bought them last year at the start of summer they have seen MANY days on the water and i still see the same ones at wallly mart.

Speaking of investment, get Graham Warren's book on making paddles, then go and get yourself a nice piece of cherry, mahogany, or ash for around $20 and carve your own. You'll get exactly what you want, and a whole lot more satisfaction. That's an investment, it brings returns.

Dave
    David

Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go canoeing. -HDT

Flyfishing is a drug. It's addictive, it can be expensive, not many others will understand it, it is possible to get others hooked, and everyone has a favorite place to get their fix, but there's no hangover in the morning (from the fishing at least).

Default Money was a priority

If you look back up the string money was somewhat of a concern. I understand been living a little light since February myself. For the price of a book and a piece of pine he can buy a couple of Mr. Caviness' paddles from WalMart. Good Mississippi hardwood, made about half a block from my grandparent's last house. I have had the same paddle from them since about 1973, I have made a few repairs and revarnished it but it's still functional for sculling a jon boat when you think a trolling motor is too noisy.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Default Make a paddle...

How about a cedar 2x8? Just remove everything from it that you don't want as part of your paddle, sand smooth and there you go.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

build your own if ya can find some scrap wood... i built a set using some scrap 1 by 6... i used a jigsaw to cut the rough shape then a rasp to round off the edges and sanded the paddles... after that i just put a coat of varnish on... when i sold the flat bottom boat they went with it...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

+ Reply to Thread