+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Foot 1 or 2 weight

Smile 5 Foot 1 or 2 weight

I'd like to here some suggestions for a rod that fits into this catagory. I'll be using this to foray into the steeper Mtn. streams of NH, Maine, and VT looking for those 6-10 inch wild brookies. I currently have a 6 1/2 3 wt that does this job, but looking to downsize even more.... Thx.

Blog Entries

Look at global dorber (sponsor). They have 4'6" 3/4 wt or 5' 2, 3 or 5 wt rods or blanks in 4'6" 2/3 wt, 4/5 wt, or 5' in 2, 3 or 5 wt. Slower action, though, if that is a problem for you.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I just finished building a 6'6" 2wt rod that was a Rain Forest blank in a kit from Cabela's. I have a 3wt GPX on it and it casts ok and can get 40 or 45 feet cast with out a lot of trouble. Caught a lot of trout down at Bennett Springs during a trip in the middle of May and a lot of bluegills and a few bass since and enjoy it a bunch. A 10" bluegill or 14" rainbow is a real hand full on this little rod.

I've been fishing a 5' 2wt from global dorber and have been very happy with it. It does take a bit of getting used to in terms of timing and power application (or lack there of), but once you get used to it, it's a very plesant rod to cast and fish.

If you roll your own, you can get the blank and all componets you'll need for about $55.00 delivered.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

I use a White River from Bass Pro for small streams. It is a 5 foot 3 wt that I over line with a cut off wf 5 wt line. Unbelievable close in casts. You can use a hatchet cast and rocket it up under tags as little as 10 feet away. Mends like a dream with streamers. No good for range though. Dies at 35 feet. Perfect small stream brooke trout rod.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast Brookie View Post
    I'd like to here some suggestions for a rod that fits into this catagory. I'll be using this to foray into the steeper Mtn. streams of NH, Maine, and VT looking for those 6-10 inch wild brookies. I currently have a 6 1/2 3 wt that does this job, but looking to downsize even more.... Thx.
    If you have enough in your budget for a short bamboo rod, either used or custom built for you, take a look at BB member boarmountain's website ( follow the link ).

http://www.prairiedrifterrods.com/ap...lbumid=5822314

If you go to Bamboo Rods for Sale, you'll find some pics of a 4'9" rod ( last five pics at bottom of page ) which is probably right for a 2 wt, maybe a 1 wt. Don't know if Mike still has it, but I am confident that he can custom build just what you want, if you correspond with or talk to him.

John
    The fish are always right.

PM'd you a link of one for sale.

Brookies? Short, 2 wt rod?

The answer is glass, more specifically, the Hardy Aln (5'0" 2 wt).

The only advice anyone needs for a short, light flyrod can be given in 3 words. Dorber, Dorber, Dorber!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by docbluedevil View Post
    Brookies? Short, 2 wt rod?

The answer is glass, more specifically, the Hardy Aln (5'0" 2 wt).
    If the budget allows this rod is PERFECT for the type of fishing you describe. Besides being a sweet fishin' pole it is pretty to look at!

I have short glass rods from 5'0" to 6'6" but all are 3wts. I find that line size to be fine for short work and to be honest, with the miniscule amount of line you normally have past the tip top on tight streams, an 8wt would work just fine too.

A 5 footer is short rod that takes some getting used to. I use mine when I have to or want to but the 6'0" and 6'6" get a lot more use at places where the 5 footer would work, but the extra length of the longer sticks is an advantage. I also find that a 6'0" 3wt I have, handles all but the most extreme of the 5 footer's assignments with ease so take a look at a 6'0" rod if you want something more versatile.

BTW - Even though you expressed an interest in a light line outfit, take a look at this FAOL member's For Sale offerings. I personally think a 6'0" 5wt Fenwick would be PERFECT for chasing brookies and I know that rod would have a lot more soul and bend bit more than some newer offerings out there.

Have fun with your search!

+ Reply to Thread