+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In search of a connection on a grip.....

Default In search of a connection on a grip.....

I have a 10' 3wt full flex 2 piece blank. For fun I want to build it as a Trout Spey rod. What I want to do is build it with a foregrip of about 10" or 12" like a Tennessee handle. And I want to use slip rings on it. So I can use an open face spinning reel on it or a fly reel and slip it up or back for balance I like.

But THEN......I would like to attache another 10" or 12" .....what ever feels good to me.....I want to remove a small 1" screw in butt end and screw in the other bottom 10-12" grip. Now have approx 18-22" all one piece grip. Now I can spey cast with it. I do not want to put in a normal spey reel seat with a pass through. I would like to go with the same slip rings all the way. Just an all cork grip. But one I can take apart in the middle.

Concerned if I put 24" of cork on the 10' rod I really don't have a ten foot rod left. And perhaps not long enough to spey cast. Sooooooo.....would like to put the first grip on clear to the base of the original blank...sigh a screw in thing to screw in a butt tip. Then make another grip with a threaded rod all the way thru of which I can screw this same butt tip into the bottom end of the bottom grip. And be able to screw the threaded rod grip into the existing rod with the foregrip on it.

Hope question makes sense. Don't know how to find, cinfigure, and install the connection I want to make.

Any help would be appreciated.

You will need what is known as a "captive nut" in the butt of the main rod. Then you will need two bolts that match ... one for the fighting butt and one for the extension.

Definitely make sure to reinforce the butt of the main rod. When using the extension, you won't want the torque to exert undue pressure on a small area ... it will need to be spread across at least 4-5". A fiberglass inner sleeve should provide enough support for the captive nut and give you protection against concentrated pressure.

TJ -

P.S. Batson (Rainshadow/Forecast) offers a fighting butt assembly that is totally separate from any other parts. Item #FB2PI. They aren't very expensive (retail $11.43). You would need two of them, since you need the bolt section for each connecting item (butt and extension).
    Last edited by TampaJim; 05-31-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Wow. Info just what I needed and where to get it. However a tad confused. The part number you mention is only $4.92 timex 2 is only approx $10.00. That is an FB2P1B.

The $11.43 is a part number FB2M in Black or Smoking Gun. Not the part number you mentioned. Soooooo...WHICH two parts do I need?

BTW thank you for the great info. And the reminder to reinforce. Hadn't thought about that and know better. Think I was still thinking a straight through. Splitting it up you are right. I need to reinforce the blank.

I gave you the correct part number ... FB2PI. When I grabbed the price, I jumped up a notch, unfortunately. Yep, your damage will be $10 for a pair of them. Of course, you will only use ONE of the female sections with BOTH of the male sections.

IF you were only doing a fighting butt, reinforcement wouldn't be needed. But with the extra 12" of leverage, I wouldn't risk it ... it won't take too much effort or expense to reinforce the butt section. Just a scrap of fiberglass blank and some rod bond. Make sure you have a good fit AND especially be sure to properly bevel the inserted section.

BTW, if you need a contact for the plug and insert - just send me a PM.

TJ -
    Last edited by TampaJim; 05-31-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning.
    Sometime ago, lets say well over a couple of years ago.

I thought that idea, as above with the pin from Pac Pacific kind of thing, would be suitable for a little 5/6w Trout Spey I was developing and testing some ideas and concepts with.

On the very first 'driven' cast it busted !
    That is the areas on both sides had been strengthened, it was the metal pin that sheared in two peices.

Which amazed me, just how much force is at work in the bottom of a Double Handed fly rod when cast correctly.

Kind regards,
    UB
    (ps, 'that' person, who is against me posting on Doubles, sorry )
    Last edited by Uncle Barry; 05-31-2009 at 10:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread