+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to find a lost cellphone while trout fishing

Unhappy How to find a lost cellphone while trout fishing

First go to a small mountain stream 20 miles from your house. Slip and fall in at very first spot. Empty water from hip boot but enjoy the 56 degrees cool off. Proceed up stream about a quarter mile or more in the next two hours. Walk back to truck for lunch and decide to call wife to tell her how you're doing. Reach for phone and discover it's missing. Go down to stream where you fell in and peer into water and find no phone there. Put on tennies and retrace steps alongside stream and again find no phone. Drive 20 miles home and call your cell number from wife's phone and get a ring most likely indicating your phone does not now reside on stream bottom. Drive 20 miles back to stream and start walking alongside it redialing your cell number after every six rings because if there's no answer it goes to voicemail or "leave a message" status. All the while, hoping that you might be able to hear your cell ring over the stream noise. Get to where you exited the stream back to the road without hearing an answering ring. Say prayer or a few nasty words about your stupidity. (Knew I should have put that #$%^&* phone in my pocket instead of using that @#$%^&* belt clip.) Decide to give it one more try. On second try start hearing a very faint ring back towards stream. Retrace steps and hear a couple more rings before it fades out. Go further back, about 20 yards, and closer to stream. Start back towards road but circle around stand of nasty green briars this time. Redial once again. Start hearing your cellphone on first ring this time. Walk forward about ten yards and on fourth ring it sounds like you should be right on it. Take two more steps and look down at sixth ring and voila' - there it is at last! Pick up your cell and call wife on home number knowing she'll see your cell number pop up on caller ID on the TV screen.

Cost of gas to and from extra 40 miles driven - about $4.58.

Cost of extra time spent not being able to fish while trying to find cellphone - nothing.

Finding lost cellphone while trouting - priceless!

Good job!

My only experience is finding wife's phone in a desk drawer by calling her number.

Makes me glad my cell doesn't work at most of the places I fish. Mine usually sits safely back in the car.

If its any consolation, I lose mine in the house all the time!

GMM - I'd rather be luck than good. Congrat's on the find. Better on the bank than in the creek!
    Joe Bertolini

If you keep your home phone in memory stored under "Home", the good samaritan who finds it may call you and tell you how to get your phone back. Actually happened to me. Down side is there are bad samaritans out there.

Godspeed and good fishing,

Bob

nighthawk Guest

Glad you did not have is set to buzz/silent or turned off!

Wink

GMM -

That sounds like so much fun, I'm tempted to get a cell phone so I can lose it.

Glad it worked out for you, and thanks for sharing an unusual fishing story with us.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Bobinmich - I do have the home phone number stored in contact list as "Home"; so, hope a good person finds it next time it's lost.

Went to the phone store Friday to get replacement batteries for our two cellphones and, would you believe it, they wanted $45.00 + tax for each battery because our phones were almost two years old. Plus, they weren't in stock and would take five business days to ship!

Then the salesman says we can get two brand new phones, home and vehicle chargers for about the same price as the two batteries. No way says I and he tallies up a cost of $85.00 + tax for the deal. Needed a new case and that was 20% off for a grand total of $106.80. And the new two year contract started Friday instead of July 25th when the old one ran out. Was thinking about replacing the phones in July anyway.

This week we're also replacing the old home phone with a new cell and base phone and retaining our old home number. Old cost without long distance was about $534.00 a year and the new phone after an intial purchase price of $29.99 for the phone will be about $120.00 a year + tax for service. Another no-brainer coming up.

Can you hear me now?

Could not resist..lol

Steve

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Amazed you had a signal!

I actually bought my first cell phone for a little added safety and insurance in the event of a bad fall or bad people while fishing. On my first trip after the purchase, I discovered that there is absolutely no signal within fifteen miles of my favorite river. I guess I could crawl fifteen miles with my broken leg and then call.

GMM, loved your story but I'm amazed you had a signal 8T

+ Reply to Thread