+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going fishing. Need advise.

Default Going fishing. Need advise.

Well folks, the good news is, I'm going fishing in the Eastern California Sierras Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The heck of it is, thunderstorms are forecasted for the area I want to fish in. Now I don't mind a little rain but I don't like waving a graphite pole around in a lightning storm. I will be stream wading and possibly float tubing.
    Should I go there and hope the weather people are wrong but if they're not tough it out? Should I pick another area and pray the storms are only in that other spot? It's about a 300 mile drive one way and I really hate going that far to just sit in the SUV and watch DVDs.
    What are your views on fishing in inclimate weather? Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Blog Entries

Jim,
    I don't mind fishing in rain, but when lightning starts cracking, I put the rod away. I fished 2 days last weekend with 60-70% chance of rain forecast. It rained twice while I was fishing, neither shower lasting more than 10 minutes, so you never know.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

A few weeks ago the brother and I were float tubing it in intermittent thunderstorms. Had to get out twice because the lightning got too close. The fishing was great though.

You could always get a bamboo rod...

Jim -

I'll wade fish in just about any conditions above 25F and under 25 mph winds, except when I see lightning or hear thunder. When I think it is likely that there will be lightning, I might fish from shore in an area close to the truck. When it seems unlikely, even though forecast, I'll wade fish but pay close attention to what seems to be developing, and again, stay close to the truck.

Seems to me that on the Eastern Sierras, the thunderstorms, whether forecast or not, are most likely from early afternoon through late afternoon. If you are planning to fish places where early morning through noon and late afternoon and evening fishing is likely to be good, I'd seriously consider going.

John

P.S. The above is based largely on hiking a lot at high elevations in various mountain ranges in the West, which was usually a bit further into summer. I would be guided by that experience, but I would be prepared for something a bit different this early in the year.
    The fish are always right.

Lightning can jump a long, long way brother... don't risk it. When it starts rumbling, start heading back to camp. When you see a flash, break the rods down and seriously head back to camp.
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Arrow Another time/place...

Reschedule to fish another time or place!
    You don't want to drive 300miles and 'maybe fish' or ' hope' you fish!
    One day of good fishing is better than three days of 'maybe fishing'.
    Good luck,
    Tight Lines......
    John } aka: Quill gordon

Blog Entries

Just a couple days ago there was a woman hiker seriously injured by a lightning strike on a mountain visible from my home. Strange thing is we almost never get enough heat-driven air to cause lightning. In the 45 years I have lived here I have seen lightning no more than a dozen times.

A few years back there was a lightning storm on Kodiak and folks were calling the police to find out what blew up... The locals had never seen a lightning storm there before.
    art

One good thing to remember is that aquatic insects hatch more during overcast times, but you have to weigh the risk and if it's rumblin' and blowing it might be better to get under cover. Some of my best dry fly days have been when its cloudy and generally nasty, but I always avoid days when it rumbles.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

everybody should just stay home even if there is even the slightest chance of thunderstorms...and the snakes, watch out for the snakes...and the cougars, watch out for those nasty critters. I hear the wolverines can e pretty aggressive as well...may as well just stay home, and lock your doors...

seriously though, I've had some of my absolute best fishing right after a heavy downpour. Just be smart about when to get off the water (as stated previously)...

~Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

+ Reply to Thread