+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grrrr! This ticks me off big time.

Angry Grrrr! This ticks me off big time.

Ok to begin with I'm a big guy, 6"3" and on a good day 250 lbs. so I need a new pair of waders so...after looking around I ordered the waist high stocking foot Gore-Tex from a major company in their XXL size.
    Here's the frustration part. When they arrive I tried them on and they fit perfect "except" the booties are sized like size 13 and I wear a size 11 shoe. Of course I saw that on their ordering form but thought perhaps they would adapt as my wading shoes are sized size 12.

My next step was calling the company because I wanted to ask their product folks why it was that the booties could not be offered in a size 11 or at least a 12. Their answer was the foot sizes are made proportioned to the wearers height and waist size.
    So of course I said...well then why dont you offer various sized booties as a special order and charge a few bucks more?

The answer was it would not be cost efficient because there would not be enough people order them to make a profit.

I find this hard to believe so what do y'all think am I alone in this problem or have you also ran across it.
    Any solution ideas will be appreciated.

Sorry to rant but this does tick me off.

Tight lines all,

powa

Quote Originally Posted by powa View Post
    Any solution ideas will be appreciated.
    Go on a diet and order the XL instead.

Poke 'Em, powa is a growing boy and has to keep up his strength.

In terms of your currently owned waiders, I would say do what you can with them or return them or sell them. They make waders with open pants leg style bottoms (you wear them like pants) and you put a separate boot on. Then you put on these sealing gators that go over the tops and the loose pantleg bottom. I have NO idea how well this works. But at least then you can buy one pair of waders and can get various pairs of boots to match with them. They're not as well insulated at the bootie kind in that you'd probably have to get thick wool socks to wear in the boots you choose.
    Jared DuBach

Cold Guest

The answer was it would not be cost efficient because there would not be enough people order them to make a profit.

I find this hard to believe
    Its the truth. Especially for large companies. They have long production lines to make identical sets of waders around the clock. To make a change for just one or two (or even one or two hundred) causes so much down time that its not an economically attractive option.

To adapt a Lincoln quote to marketing: You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

To make the most money, they've elected to please most of the people, most of the time. Unfortunately, you fall outside that demographic.

I'm sure you can find a place that'll make custom tailored waders, but expect to compensate them for their time accordingly.

Ya gots small feets!

I'm 5'-10" 175 and wear a sz 11.5 or 12.

I have a similar problem. I am 6'2" and weigh anywhere from 250-280. It doesn't matter what size I order, I have a size 16 foot. I finally found some folks that make a large boot, but my waders are still not big enough to allow for a thick pair of socks. Simms will make a larger bootie for a price, that is what my next pair will be, perhaps they will make a smaller one for you.

Default One word: Patagonia

Yes, this is very true. I know from lots of personal experience shopping for waders, though my problem is quite the opposite...giant feet and no one making the booties anywhere near big enough. I recently settled on a new pair or Orvis Proguides (XXL) where the booty was refreshingly comfortable on my big feet, maybe the problem your having was to my advantage eh?

If the problem persists, buy Patagonia. Their waders are tougher anyway and they WILL do the custom booties at about $40. I recommend the new Watermasters or Watermaster Lites. They are a heck of a lot of wader for the money. I beat the absolute poo out of one pair I had for 7 years and they are still in good shape. The only reason they are backups now is because the feet on them were standard (too small) and the seems on the booties started to wear bad from me cramming my feet in and yanking them out. They STILL don't leak but I fear not for long.

Try a different brand. I am 6'2", 259, and wear an XL in a major wader brand. They fit fine, not too tight, lots of room around the middle even in the winter when wearing a couple shirts and fleece pull over. The booties fit fine over a pair of heavy socks. I wear and 11 or 11.5 shoe. My wading boots are 13's. PM me if you wont the wader details. I don't want to turn this into a wader brand war thread.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

It IS frustrating that certain "assumptions" are made by wader manufacturers as to boot size relative to height and weight. I have a similar problem with my Orvis Pro-Guide in the Large size. Boot size is 10.5 - 11 and my feets are 12+. I have been curling my toes now for about 6 years. As soon as they leak, they're outta here so my toes can get back to normal shape.

Mark

Thanks for the replies all its seems there is no real solution. One guy said poke a hole in the bootie and send them back to be fixed and ask for another size bootie when there fixed...Hmm! do ya think they would figure that one out?

Good fishin!

powa

Normand Guest

i'm on the other end of the spectrum

5'5" stout sixe 7.5 shoe

i gotta buy an inseam of 32 (actual is about 26-27) and a bootie size of 9-11. where the hell do i stuff all of that excess neoprene and excess leg material???

+ Reply to Thread