+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prescription sunglasses

Smile prescription sunglasses

Can I have some opinions on the best polarized prescription sunglasses?

Thanks,

My normal prescription glasses are tri-focal. The middle lense is for the computer screen which is about 32". I found this prescription unaccepatble for stream work. The mid range was useless, there wasn't enough distance area, and the normal bifocal wasn't strong enough to see fine tippets and little flies.

I had my doctor write a prescription for a bifocal lense that focused about 6" from my eye. When I ordered my glasses I had them position the bifocal as small and as low as they could.

I ordered my glasses on line. Saved me about $150 over the local Lenscrafters. I got the exact same frames as my normal glasses in case I ever needed parts in an emergency. But they are regular polarized sunglasses so I can use them for everyday.

One more caution. I have a lot of prism in my prescription and it favors the polycarbonate high refraction material. I could not get polarized lenses in that material and the plastic is thicker.

PM me if you have questions.

Bob

I have tri-focals and use a magnetic clipon. That is for my every day glasses, when I use my work ones I have the fitovers for them and sofar they seem to be okay for me.

I couldn't tell you right off what my everyday ones cost as I only pay a percentage with my work insurance.

I have used seperate Dark glasses in the past but went with the clipons about five years ago, because they are cheaper in the longrun, maybe??
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 05-29-2009 at 03:37 AM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Default prescript sunglasses

I have bifocals the reg lenses with no line, the prescript had a line it took a
    little getting used to it. I just didn't like to switch from one to the other, I ended up losing my prescipt sunglasses. I recently purchashed fitovers by
    cocoon and I like them and they have several sizes depending on what you wear, I also like the polorized lenses. I also bought a cheaper pair about half the price at walmart for my I don't care if they get scratched fitovers also.
    I hope that helps.
    Flyfisher121

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherduck View Post
    Can I have some opinions on the best polarized prescription sunglasses?

Thanks,
    Check with your optometrist about Driver Wear (or something like that). They are polarized, photochromatic lens that is kind of an amber/rose/copper tint. No color distortion and are fantastic in bright or low light. I had the lenses put in Carrera frames with standard bifocals on them (progressive lenses are not available) so I can tie on my flies.

I have had single vision prescription lenses in gray that I liked very much (needed cheaters to tie any kind of knot). I have also used high-end sunglasses with my contact lenses and with flip up cheaters. The Driver Wear are the best so far and were not anymore expensive than high-end, non-prescription sunglasses (my health insurance does not cover sunglasses).

I picked up a pair of Guideline's prescription bifocals a few months ago and really like them. Cost around $170. A lot less than the others out there.

Kevin

I have a pair of Smiths Optical and another pair of Ocean Waves made in my prescription---the Smiths have the coating on the surface and got scratched within the first year---the Ocean Waves have the coatings between 2 pieces of glass. This is my second pair of Ocean Waves and prefer them in the forida flats but like the Smiths for trout and lake fishing.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

I got a pair from Smith Optic's and love them. If you are not 100% sure what you want call them. They are very helpful.

Bill A

When I went to trifocals about four years ago, I switched to polarized amber fitovers and have been very satisfied with them. Comfortable, lightweight and only cost around $35. I especially like the side lenses that keep the light out of my eyes. I certainly don't look very stylish on the water with them, but anyone who knows me will tell you that's the least of my problems They work well and they're cheap, what more could you want.

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread