+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hansens Stay Hungry Streamer

Hybrid View

Default Hansens Stay Hungry Streamer

I have been feverishly looking for the pattern recipie to tie this fly...can anyone help me out??? Used it this last weekend in the perch color and the pike absolutely hammered it. Thanks!

Google is such a wonderful tool. Here are two images.
    http://www.americanflyfishing.com/Flies/Trout%20Baitfish%20Flies/Stay%20Hungry%20Streamer.html?avad=4107_a24dc55
    http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0018080319822a.shtml
    I looks like:
    It is tied Clouser style as mentioned;
    It looks like it uses bucktail, but your sample will give you the details;
    It seems to have some tinsel/flashabou in the middle;
    It doesn't seem to matter to the commercial tiers what order the orange and olive are applied, but the yellow is on the bottom.
    It just looks like a fat Clouser minnow to me. Perhaps there is some artificial hair in the middle, can't tell from the pictures.
    Google Clouser Minnow and you will see how to tie it and then use more hair than usual - that's my suggestion.

Zooming in on the pictures, it looks like its just a bushy clouser minnow as Greg said. I can't tell if there is something in the middle to make it a little darker. One picture looks like it might have some yellow dyed grizzly hackle in the middle, making it more like a half&half but the pictures aren't clear enough to tell. If you have one on hand you should be able to get an idea of what materials it uses. Also I'd say the olive should be on the outside since its usually the color of the back of a perch. Just makes more sense that way to me.

If you aren't already familiar with the technique theres a 2 part video online of Bob Clouser tying one:
    http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/bobclouser/index.html

Normand Guest

Thanks for the links fellas...I do have one on hand and dont think it will be too tough to tie but the material is what is driving me crazy.... The hair used looks to be possibly synthetic (it is not bucktail) and has some tremendous flowing/pulsating action in the water. The hair is also pretty fine in nature. What I am trying to find out is exactly what that hair/material is... Could it be polar fiber?? If anyone has a thought let me know..... The photo posted above is as good a look at as you can get without having one in your hand..

Normand Guest

if there is a fly shop close to you, take it in and see if they know what the material is

+ Reply to Thread