+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2wt. Casting distance

Default 2wt. Casting distance

I recently purchased a 2wt. Series 1 Temple Forks rod. I have a 2wt Cortland lazer line on it. It seems to cast well but I can't get the distance I want. Is it just too light a rod? How can I find out what is the maximum distance I can cast this rod? I understand part of it may be due to my casting skill level but I think I am to a point I should be casting most rods close to there potential. I also know that the size of flies I am casting will affect the casting distance as well. I am fishing this rod on small spring creeks with size 16-22 flies. What I want to do is use the rod at slightly larger creeks. This rod was fairly inexpensive but came from a reputable company (Lefty). Would a more expensive rod necessarily perform better? Thanks for any input.

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:c9b4a]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:c9b4a]

I don't have a 2 wt but with my 3 wt I can cast small dry flies and nymphs about as far as I can cast with my standard 6 wt. I can usually lay out 50 ft of line with no effort, and if I'm careful with my stroke I can reach 60 ft. Don't know how much distance you want, but that should be plenty for most places you would use a light rod. I have caught landlocked salmon up to 19" on #20 black caddis dry flies. Lots of fun!

Go to a local reputable service-oriented fly shop and tell them what is going on. Bring your setup with you and ask them to cast your rod comparitively with some higher-end 2-wts. It could be your casting, the gear, the rod/line interaction, or a combination of all three. Trying a completely different outfit with the help of an experienced fly shop employee will give you enogh clues to figure out which it is. The folks in the shop will probably be able to recommend and sell you what you need - cating lessons, a new line, or a new rod. My guess is it will be a new line or casting lessons.

Good luck,

-John

PS get as close to the fish as you can w/ a 2-wt. I normally don't fish more than 30 feet out with a 2-wt.

Most I've ever gotten (and measured) out of my 6'6" 2-weight is about 55 feet. I'll cast that far when I'm blind casting in still waters, but rarely ever need to if I'm stream fishing or sight fishing.

[This message has been edited by OkieBass133 (edited 24 February 2005).]

My experience with 2/3wt lines is that you need to try lots of lines with the rod you intend to use before you plop down your dollars... Most of my rods are very particular to specific lines in that weight range. Remember, with lines that light a small variation is a large % of line weight.

Ralph

Your rod should easily be able to cast at least 70'
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I can cast 40 feet comfortably with my 2-weight line on my one-weight rod. Have never needed even that much distance in any of the waters I fish with my 1-weight, but I feel I could easily get 50 feet in low wind conditions. My average casts on small streams and ponds from a boat or canoe is 30 feet or less.

Ray, you're in a class by yourself. I can't even picture you owning a 1 or 2-weight. lol

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

RW I do have a bunch of 4wts!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Reuel, RW here

I'm with you. That's why they call it wading. And the closer you can get the more accurate the cast.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

There are some good suggestions above. The only thing I'd add is that you fish small spring creeks and the 2 wgt rod you have sounds rather ideal for that purpose. You didn't mention size and characteristics of the next river you plan to fish. If not too big and swift I would go to a 5 wgt or if you have lots of bucks a 4 wgt. Winding up some day 0, 2, 4, and 6 wgts. Or 0, 2, 5, and 8 wgts. If there are large rivers or you fish the salt, a 9 wgt or larger can be added to the first group. I used to fish a wide range of streams and I had it pretty well covered with 1,3,6,and 9 wgts.

If you're a member of a club its a good Idea to have everyone bring a bunch of rods to an outing so you and others can test a lot of them. Masking tape with at least owners name rod weight should be placed over the manufacturers logo. After playing with a good number of rods, switch lines around (have stickers on reels showing line sizes). Have one of the best casters try your 2 wgt and make recommendations. My guess is that its a pretty good rod! Casts in the 60 to 80 ft range with a 2 weight should be possible for a 2 weight depending on experience and skill. Casts this long are very seldom made on the small spring creeks that I fish.

Ol, Bill

+ Reply to Thread