+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVC Rod Tubes, Need Advice

Hybrid View

Default PVC Rod Tubes, Need Advice

Has anyone out there made rod tubes from PVC pipe? I made a couple of them over the weekend by using the PVC primer, then PVC cement to attach an end cap on one end. The other end will be the same type of cap but, obviously, not glued. I like the way they turned out but my question is this...The odor from that PVC cement is very strong inside the tube. How long before that odor goes away and/or is the odor harmful to a rod inside the tube? I've left the caps off so they can air out but the smell is still there. Any ideas???

Thanks, Lonnie
    Speak yer mind but ride a fast horse!

Lansford PA. Not far from the Lehigh River

Default Rod tubes

I made many. It'll say on the can of pvc glue how long the dry time is. Not long. Then put your rod in and forget about it. I may have waited about a half hour or so. The glue smell may get ya high but it won't the rod. Won't harm it in any way. And there ya are.
    Last edited by softhackler; 05-26-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Blog Entries

I agree with Softhackler, should have been dry and usable in half an our or less. One thing I have done with my tubes is drill a few air holes in the caps that way if there is some water on the rod when you put it away it can dry our and not mold or mildew the sock or cork. it would also allow the smell to get out.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Thanks Softhackler and Eric!
    The cement is definitely dry but the odor remains. I'll just continue to let it air out for awhile. My biggest fear is that if my rod gets too "loaded" on glue fumes it may not be in any condition to catch fish!!! Thanks guys!
    Speak yer mind but ride a fast horse!

too get the smell out of it there are 2 things to do. Either take it outside on a nice warm day and let it set out there for about 2 hours. You can also take and get some cedar chips and put them in the tube for a couple of days. take the cap off and the smell should be gone.

You might consider getting a screw-on cap on the other end. Occasionally those caps can get pretty tough to take off if they're just the slide-on variety.

I'm with Poke.em on the screw-in or on cap. I've changed mine over to that. Sometimes the cap will tighten up and be very difficult to remove.

Beaver

Great ideas, but now I have to go to the hardware store!

+ Reply to Thread