+ Reply to Thread

Thread: storage for flash

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default storage for flash

I'm trying to come up with a good flash/angel hair storage idea. I've found suitable ways to store almost everything that I have for my tying, but tinsel, flash, and that sort of material is an issue. Right now they are in their original envelopes, but it is a bit of a pain getting what I need from the packages.
    Does anyone have a good solution that you've come up with?
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

It is an issue isn't it

You can make a small slit in the envelope on the end where the flash is folded over and reach through with say a bodkin and capture the number of strands you want and withdraw.

I don't do it that way but kind of wish I had kept on using that method..

I maintain two tying areas and here's one way I do it...a tie rack that extends....

the other way I use is to store the flash in those plastic tubes with the removable red caps on each end that were around some years ago...somewhat pricey if you have a lot.

Cut a smallish hole in the middle of the bottom of the bag it came in. Then use your bodkin to pull out a few strands at a time as needed.

Normand Guest

i leave it in the original baggie and just cut one of the corners off for access with a bodkin

or be creative and make one of these flash-go-round (found it at the wapsi website)

Last edited by Normand; 05-26-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i leave it in the original baggie and just cut one of the corners off for access with a bodkin

or be creative and make one of these flash-go-round (found it at the wapsi website)

I found something similar to this on clearance at Orvis. It might be worth experimenting and building one.
    I've also seen something like this, but don't know if it would work or not. http://www.shop.com/Floss_Organizer-...l?sourceid=298

Any idea who sells the wapsi version?
    Last edited by ol' blue; 05-26-2009 at 06:33 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ol' blue View Post
    Any idea who sells the wapsi version?
    http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingsto...rage-6649.aspx

Anyone looking for the tubes mentioned earlier, I bought some from Al and Gretchen Beatty at the last tying expo. Prices were pretty reasonable as I recall. They are sponsors of this site. http://www.btsflyfishing.com/catalog/page6-7.htm Scroll to the bottom of the page.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I made on similar to the one in Normand's picture, but I used two cheap wood plaques and a dowel rod from Michaels and around the perimeter, I stapled 1/2 " elastic. Most flash is held together with a wire tie, if it isn't I add one and slide the tag end of the wire tie into the elastic.

A piece of milk jug between the top plaque and the dowel makes it so it can spin, but I have soo much junk on my bench, I have yet to give it a good turn.

Then I drilled a bunch of holes in the top plaque to hold tools that I don't use very often.

Total cost about 5 or 6 bucks.

Roy

Default Tubes

I have a drawer full of flash/angel hair material stored in tubes. The tubes have a cap on each end for ease of removal.

I bought my tubes at a Fly Show in Seattle about 5-7 years ago. Best thing I ever bought. When I get home I will see if I have a name for them.

Cal E. Batis

see if you can find a firend who works in a hospital operating room

many of the products used will come in tubes (as described in above post with caps on each end--good length and width for storing flash, synthetic hair, spools of thread or wire

+ Reply to Thread