+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod rest??

Default Rod rest??

I just started using my Hobie Outback that I bought over the winter, and I love it. However, being a newby to kayak fishing, I am baffled by how to best access the rod tip when I need to pull the line through or deal with my all-too-frequent snags and tangles. Should I fasten on some sort of "Y" bracket at the front of the 'yak so I can flip the rod around and keep it stable while I futz with the tip? The rod holders in the Hobie don't really accommodate fly rods, at least fly rods with reels...

Thanks!

Getting to the tip of a fly rod in a kayak is not the easiest thing in the world. I usually carry two rods, so if one gets fouled up, I switch to the other on until I can get out and fix it. Of course the best thing is not to get it fouled in the first place. Also, I line the rod so that the leader to line connection is outside of the tip top. This way you don't need to pull the connection out. Don't use the hook keeper. Hook the fly on the stripping guide support and run the leader back around the reel. This will keep the connection outside the tiptop on a 9'+ leader.

As far as the rod holders, if you have flush mounts, you will have to either get an adapter or use a slotted piece of PVC that will fit down into the holder. This is easy, just get a peice of PVC that will fit and cut about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch slot about 9" down the side. Put the PVC into the holder with the slotted end up. Slide the rod in with the reel sticking out of the slot.

Scotty makes fly rod holders that work very well. These have a deck mount that is screwed on and the holder part hooks into the deck mount. They also have an adapter that will fit into the flush mount rod holders.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Place the rods butt section in whatever mechanism or mount you carry it in while paddling, then remove the tip section to work on.

Best, Dave

Normand Guest

ditto what dave said. take it apart

I take mine apart, but never if it's not strung up
    I lost a section over the side one time
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the tips (pardon the pun). Since I use the pedals, I've just been carrying the rod while pedaling, so I haven't used any mechanism to hold the rod to date. I will rig up some modified fly rod holders, though, thanks!

Paul

I just let the reel end dangle in the water and dry it out good when I get home.

Rodger

+ Reply to Thread