+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage fans: TXL vs SLT....

1. Default Sage fans: TXL vs SLT....

I seem to be thinking about rods an awful lot these days. First it was streamer rods, now it's little creek rods.

I've got a softspot for the SLTs as I use a 5wt on occasion. Love it.

But the TXLs look pretty nice.

Can anyone qualify the differences in action between a 7'10" 3wt TXL vs the 7'6" 3wt SLT? Is the TXL appreciably quicker or somehow improved? I love my current SLT and would not normally hesitate to own another, but it might be good to try some of Sages other creations. Especially when they're a touch cheaper...

Any opinions out there?

Well..I can't speak for the TXL but I own the 7'6" 3wt SLT and I love it!! I bought it when they first came out with the rod...exclusively for fishing small streams around my area. The rod casts equally well with a short line as it does throwing 50-60'. It casts so smooth and feels very light in the hand.

The SLT rods are awesome IMO, so this year I bought the 8'6" 5wt.

-------
    Rich

TXL much lighter than SLT. A touch faster IMO. Both pretty rods worth the money.

e

I have a TXL and I love it. If its one of the lower weights you choose, make sure to get a proper small reel. Mine has a Ross Vision and the combination is outstanding. It just feels right. I taught my son to cast with it and he got pretty good really fast because it has lots of sensitivity. Plus its a Sage-so you cant go wrong. -Migs

5. Default

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. I'll bump this up top to see if anyone else has anything to add.

I *think* I just found a shop that's about an hour and a half way from me that has both rods in stock. Waiting on a call back to confirm, man would that be great to actually cast them side by side...

My favorite rods are my 1 wt. slt and my 6 wt. Scott SAS. They cast like rockets , are accurate, feel good in the hand and are feel just right when fighting fish. I would have another slt in a minute if i could afford one, expecially a 3 wt.

My 0wt SLT is awesome!! I mlooking to buying another one in 3wt or 4wt!

I have a new 5 wt slt this year . Love the action great rod .TXL is faster rod by a little bit.Casted one this fall and like it enough that im going to build a rod on a 1 wt TXL blank.

------------------
    The more time I spend around people the more I like my dog.

Mike

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the machiney.........

I have been looking for a 3 wt and cast quite a few ( about 8 )this past year.
    I found that my fav was the 7'6" 3-wt SLT
    but wanted to cast a TXL as well.
    Before I could try the TXL, I had the opportunity to try a TFO 7'6" 3-wt.

I found that I liked it JUST as well as the SLT.

The SLT cost about $580
    The TFO cost about $140

You do the math.

I could easily afford the SLT.
    Now I can buy a new waterproof Digital camera with what I saved.

I have a TXL in 710 4 wt. I like that rod alot. It was my go to rod for the WI spring creeks this past season. I agree it is a bit faster than the slt. Personal preference obviously is a big deal. Make sure you cast before you buy. I was fortunate to be able to attend the GreatWaters show in MN last spring. I casted all of the rods. For me, the strange thing about the TXL line was that I didn't care for the odd size weights(1 & 3) but liked the rest.
    After casting, you may find that you want to stick with the SLT's. Have fun finding out!

+ Reply to Thread