Sport fishing column for May 25 to June 6, 2009

You already know about the Alouette Lake fishing derby June 6th and the $5000.00 up for grabs, so I won't talk about that this week. However I will talk about the Canadian National Fly Fishing Championship coming up in September, running from the 21st through 26th, in Fernie BC. Yours truly will be there, along with team mates Rick Passek, Alistair Grogan, Rob Viala, and Collin Dunn, competing under the name Team Rio West Coast, with thanks to our sponsor, The Rio Line Company. The National brings out many of the best rods in the country, so we will see if this instructor can do more than train and coach, or just prove true the old adage "Those who can't do, teach." To register as an independent or team in the national, go to the Fly Fishing Canada website.

Speaking of competition; I will be competing next weekend (May 29 & 31) too, along with my Dad and Daughter at "Fish in 2009." At the suggestion of my Dad there will be three generations of Weltz's, making the trek to Salmon Lake to compete in this annual Dad and Kids Derby. With my youngest, Joanna, along to carry the team, I would say the other boats are facing some stiff competition. What are you other Dads doing this coming weekend? Me, I'll be coaching a fourth generation fly angler on to some trophy trout.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Professor, Nations Black, Red Spratley, Baggy Shrimp, Carey Special, Souboo, Zulu, Halfback, Caddis Nymph, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, or Doc Spratley, Dragonfly Nymph. For dry (floating) try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Black Ant, Royal Coachman, Double Hackled Peacock, Adams, Tom Thumb, Big Ugly, Elk Hair Caddis, or Irresistible.

Our interior lakes are now fishing well. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Nations Silver Tip, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Dragon Nymph, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Micro Leach, Big Black, Caddis Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry fly fishing try: Tom Thumb, Adams, Royal Wulff, Lady McConnel, Black Gnat, Elk Hair Caddis, Griffith Gnat, Renegade, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River is high and muddy, concentrate on the cleaner water around its confluence streams. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Bucktail, Mickey Finn, Kaufmann's Stone, Coachman, American Coachman, Lioness, Zulu, Souboo, Big Black, Micro Leach, Czech Nymph, Strawman, or Sixpack. For dolly varden try: large (#4 to #1) Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Zonker, Big Black, or Kaufmann's Stone.

The Harrison River is high, but still fishable for rainbow and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Kaufmann's Stone, Elk Hair Caddis, Tom Thumb, Zulu, Irresistible, Adams, Renegade, or Stimulator.

The Stave River is fair to good for cutthroat, and rainbow.

At "Reel Life," we offer introductory and intermediate fly fishing and fly tying classes, for the budget minded angler. To shorten that learning curve, give us a call at 604-820-4099

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".