+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to buy flys online?

Default Where to buy flys online?

I will be buying a lot of flys here in the near future. With money being tight, where do you folks buy your flys online that is both of good quality and economicaly priced? Thanks...
    Gary

NRA
    SCI

If you want warmwater flies you might contact those of us that tie them.
    there are not many offered at fly shops.

Rick

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hi Gary,

My best wishes to you and all on this Memorial Day.

Just an observation from my own experiences with several on-line fly suppliers. In the business sense " did the transaction go well? ", they have all been positive. Every single one of the companies I've tried has their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to quality, price and performance, especially across the spectrum of fly types. As an example, they may sell reasonably good trout nymphs and wets, but their streamers, saltwater, warm water or trout dry flies could leave a lot to be desired and visa versa.

I've yet to find any one on-line " fly " retailer that does it all well. On the other hand Harry Mason's Trout Flies dot com, who is a sponsor here, has always had the wisdom to play to the founders strengths, his knowledge of Trout flies. You'll probably never find a Kung Fu Crab on Harry's site.

So if Trout flies are what you're after and if his inventory matches your wish list, then:
    Troutflies.com

Still, I think a better way to ask this question, would be to list the patterns you're after and to ask the group to chime in about their level of satisfaction with their purchases of those specific patterns from suppliers they've dealt with.

All the best, Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 09-08-2011 at 04:44 PM.

I have had very good transactions with "Little Dixie Flies".

All of their flies are "tied in America". They specialize in tried and true patterns for freshwater fishing. They have been in business since 1980, so they must be doing something right? Reasonably priced also. Prompt and efficient. They also sell materials.

http://store.littledixieflies.com/aboutldf.html

Bob

p.s. I have no affiliation with LDF, they are just a company I can recommend without hesitation!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I tie most of my flies, but for those times I need flies in a hurry I like http://www.Troutflies.com. Harry (aka bones) the owner of Trout Flies dot com is a sponsor here. Harry sells quaility products.

As a side note, Harry was my intermediate tying class instructor. That man can tie!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

http://www.theflystop.com/index.html

I just used these guys last week. Ordered on Sunday night had them Wednesday afternoon (PA to CA). They will get my next order for sure.

Default The Fly Stop

Went ahead and placed an order with these folks:

http://www.theflystop.com/index.html

The service and price rock...hope the quality is there. We'll see. Thanks for all the tips from all you folks...God bless.
    <><
    Gary

NRA
    SCI

Default Don't count out ebay

I've bought tons of flies I can't tie on there or if I am just in need. Just check the feedback thoroughly of the vendors to see that people are making positive comments about the quality of the flies. I've bought flies on there many times and only had one transaction where I was semi-disappointed but they were still good flies for the $$$

+ Reply to Thread