+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: renzetti visa

Default renzetti visa

i hav a renzetti travel vise that i like very well but have been looking at their master vise i know there is a big cost difference just wondering if anyone has used the master and is it that much better than the travel vise i know that they look really cool

thanks
    robin

Normand Guest

what will the master vise do for you differently than the traveler vise??

Smile

The Master will let you adjust the angle of the collet assembly. This will let you change the height and angle of the jaw clamping tips. It is the ultimate in adjustment versatility. Allso the machined parts are more finely finished. These two differences are not worth the added cost in most opinions. You must get the "lever locking" collet however.

Default Traveler

I had the Traveler for over 10 years now. I too also was thinking of "upgrading". But then as I was looking at the other Renzeti's I started to wonder why I wanted to upgrade? The only answer I came to was that the other vises were prettier. And if you ever seen my, who am I trying to impress.

Maybe one of these days I will "upgrade" to the cam jaws. Still using the old screw jaws.

Cal E. Batis

Red:

I own the Master and the Traveler.

Besides being NON-handed with better standard jaws that hold a wider range of hook sizes and use a spring rather than an O-ring; the Master boasts a sturdier & heavier base in the pedestal version, a heavier stainless steel shaft that can be fitted with extensions, ball bearing rotation, a better rotation friction adjustment, a better main shaft adjustment system, a rotary ratchet and totally adjustable rotary function, an adjustable arm angle for infinitesimal adjustment of the hook axis, a swing away material clip, a reversible jaw adjustment screw, brass fittings, a heavier all around build and probably a few other things I am forgetting.

In addition to those standard features, the Master accepts all of the accessories Renzetti offers.

Whether those additional features are worth it is up to you, but IMHO there is a HUGE difference between the two products that make it worth it to me to own both. I use the Master at home and the Traveler is used for what the name implies.

I also have both the Traveler and Masters Renzetti. If you consider the amount of time in hours using the Masters the cost is less per hour than your rods/reels.

If you can afford the Masters, it is well worth the investment.

Regards,
    FK

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Red face Too Much!

Sometimes I think that we just have too many choices and it drives us crazy. When I first started tying, we had Thompson, Universal and Herter's vises to select from. These vises were so basic and so cheap, there weren't even third-world knockoffs. You bought your vise and used it for a lifetime or at least until something broke and you had to buy another just like it. Case closed and it cost only $5-$10 for a lifetime of tying service. Now we even have to worry about the vise being "pretty" enough or what type of statement we are making with our vise. We need to worry less and tie more! Just my usual 2% of a dollar. No offense intended to anyone. 8T

I just can't imagine any task that I would need to do that would need to be performed better than the Traveler does it. Yeah, I could probably get better adjustments, but I've tied all sizes and shapes of flies and never had a "if only I could move the jaws this way" moment. Very solid. I'd rather spend the extra $s in supplies.

Blog Entries

Default $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Our hobby is for the most part inexpensive, find the vise you want, buy it, tie on it, take care of it and when you pass on give it to your favorite fishing partner, grand kid, charity. Don't try to justify it to your self, wife, kids, or us. If it makes you happy, go for it. If you spend more time with a bobbin than a rod in your hand it will probably be a more expensive vise than your rod, so be it. Just don't over think it, its a lifetime investment.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Hi Red Diamond:

First let me inform you that I own a Renzetti Presentation 4000 with cam jaws and a saltwater base. I also own a Renzetti Master. Now at one time I owned a Renzetti Traveler with cam jaws as wells. Now my go to vise at first was the presentation 4000, simply loved the vise and highly reccomend it. I had gotten into Salmon flies and need a vise that would hold hooks up to 5/0 and went looking at various vises and came home with the Renzetti Master. Now the Renzetti Traveler was used on camping trips, tying shows and on bussiness trips. I sold the Traveler because my presentation 4000 took it's place. I simply love the Master. Now if you have the money to spend or you are getting into tying those larger flies then go ahead and buy the Master. You will not be sorry. Now if you tying Trout flies and a few larger flies like Bass bugs, then you may want to look at the Renzetti presentation 4000 with cam jaws and saltwater base. This vise is just great and at a much lesser price then the Master. The presentation is smoothe, good looking, well built and will serve you a life time. I one day will hand the presentation 4000 down to my grandson when he is ready and into tying. Now the Master I will have to be dead before it will be given up. Lastly the Master or the Presentaion 4000 blows the traveler away any day. Hope this helped.

+ Reply to Thread