+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The SA starter kit

Hybrid View

Default The SA starter kit

Which Scientific Anglers combo kit is its that has been recommended and discussed around here?

I have a friend with a 13 year old son that wants in.

They had three different ones on display when I was in W**mart the other day
    Trout (6wt), Bass (8wt), and Kid's (?)
    I think they were around 75 bucks

Fly Fishing Outfits
    Last edited by dudley; 05-23-2009 at 06:03 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

They actually have four kits out right now, as I read the packages the only difference in three of the four is the flies included in the package they are all 6 weights the fourth is the bass rod which is an 8 wt. The kit that was discussed two years ago was a 2 piece 6 weight and they have discontinued it. If I were to buy one of these kits I would buy which ever of the 6wt kits is in stock and looks the best for the type of fishing he is likely to do.

For the same money I would buy one of these, I have the prestiege plus reel from cabellas and it works well.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...457&hasJS=true

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 05-23-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

8wt for bass! yikes... thats overkill. I use a 5wt for my bass. I use my 7wt and 8wt for steelhead. the only reason i can think of having a 8wt for bass is if your were casting some huge flies poppers or deer hair bugs for some roland martin/bill dance bass. i would get a cabelas 3 forks combo if i were u in whatever wt u are looking for. for 79 bux plus ship u get it all. comes with rod/reel/fly line/backing and is quality made with metal reel fastener/butt section and even a slick reel seat. also the prestige reel i own myself and have pulled in 6-8 pound steelies with it all day long. my cousin got this same exact combo and i think it is a great deal. the SA kit will work also tho. my 1st ever kit was a 25 dollar martin and although it wasn't the greatest it got me into the sport but for the moeny check out the cabelas. they have it in 3wts all the way up to 8wt and they even got some 5wts in shorter models like 8ft or 8'6ft and stuff. might be good for a kid 13 years of age instead of a 9ft.
    here is the 3 forks combo. look at the nice metal hardware on it! http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...457&hasJS=true
    Last edited by fishaholic69; 05-24-2009 at 06:52 AM.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Scientific Anglers make some nice outfits. For my money tho I like the Topwater outfits sold by Albrights. I bought one in a 4 wt 7.5" for a grandson and he likes it for panfish and trout. Comes with 4 wt floating line, backing and tapered leader in several weights and sizes. Check them out on FAOL sponsor page. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

The S.A. kits also come with a nice DVD and the fly line is of better quality than most other kits in the same price range.

I taught a lady two weeks ago at a Women of the Outdooors class. She had a Sci anglers rod, reel and line kit. The rod handle was Wayyyyy too large for her and would be Wayyyyy too big for youth. The diameter was too large even for me.

Make sure the handle is appropriate for youth.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I have the SA panfish kit. It comes with a 9' 5-6wt rod, plastic reel with line and leader, a dvd on casting and fishing, and a flybox with 3 flies in it, but the box can hold about 8.

nighthawk Guest

Because of the lunker bass in your area I would go with the Cabela's combo that fishaholic69 mentioned only go with the 6wt or 7wt. I have had the SA rigs and for the price they are tough to beat but the Cabela's rig is superior in my opinion.

nighthawk Guest

If this person needs a donation of flies, leaders and whatnot to get started just pm me. I have "extras" and I am always willing to share.

+ Reply to Thread