+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bamboo Ferrules - Options

Default Bamboo Ferrules - Options

I thought I'd ask this question out of curiosity.

I've got a couple cheap, old, production bamboo rods that I picked up on Ebay to play around with refinishing. I don't feel they're worth the price for the "high-end" parts.

I can find cheaper alternatives for cork, reel seats, snake guides, etc. which for these rods would be fine but I'm wondering about ferrules. Looking at some of the sites, I find that these suckers are expensive. I'm not questioning the expense but I can't justify $50-$80 for a ferrule set on these rods.

So what options are there? Are there cheaper alternatives? If I were to put them on an old 9' SB or HI would they hold up or would they loosen quickly? What would they be made of and what would I look for? Where would I find them?
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Default Ferrules

Hello skondolf, you might be surprised at all the ferrules and ferrule sets available on Ebaby...anything from plated brass for a few bucks to mid to high end nickel, stainless steel and even retro and 'nos' ferrules. It's all out there but to answer, you can go plated brass if you want to for cheap. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

MM is correct.......ferrules can be had for as little as $4. They also make what they call repair ferrules that are cheap as well. I can understand you not wanting to spend big bucks on Nickel Silver ferrules for thse rods, although if you shop around you can find them also at reduced prices.........good luck on your venture.......so put those rods back in service and fish em..........Ed

There are some brass chrome plated ferulles from ATC at mudhole for a few bucks. I was thinking of using them for my Monty. http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...-Chrome-Plated

Been there. I aquired a buncch of NOS Monty and other ferrules in a trade a few years ago. Problem is that the size I need is never in the mix. I've used the Chrome plated brass ones form Jann's and Mud hole with great success. Only problem could be that the original rod had bottle necked ferrules and you may have to do some adjusting.

Thanks everybody - exactly the info I was looking for. And I agree, I'd like to refinish the rods and fish them. Now I know I can do it reasonably.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

+ Reply to Thread