I changed glasses a few days ago. I got the Varilux (sp?) bifocals that don't have the lines, and have the infinite correction. Unfortunately, Cathie donated my old glasses to a collection drive about an hour after I got home from the Dr.'s office. I was told that I would get used to them after a week or so. Are these things going to actually work for fly tying, or do I need to get another pair of single focus glasses to tie my flies with? (I doubt Cathie would want me spending money on replacing my old glasses right after I bought new ones)

The problem is that I can't find the "Sweet spot" while I am tying. I have astigmatism, so if I look over the tops of the glasses, I just tie an ugly fly. I seem to be looking through the bottom of the glasses to tie. (Probably right, as that is the strong spot, and I am naturally myopic.) I can kind of focus on the fly, but the distortion makes it hard to get a smooth, level body and even wraps. (I can't tie what I can't see?) I don't have any visors or lenses that will work with these things. I have tried my old optivisor, but it makes things a lot worse.

Is this just a phase while I am getting used to the lenses? Will I finally adjust to tying with them? I am 44, and this is my first ever attempt at bifocals. I was looking forward to getting them, because it was getting hard to tie with the old lenses. Now, it is impossible. I tied 28 flies for a swap, just to get a usable dozen. I have the funny feeling that the only reason I have a good dozen is that I am inspecting them through the same glasses I tied them with!

Thanks for the advice,
Dave