+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Tailwater XT

Default Orvis Tailwater XT

I've been thinking about saving my pennies over the winter and getting a stocking foot pair of these waders in the spring. Does anyone out there own a pair? Opinions?

JeremyH

PS - I am NOT a Simms fan. Please don't suggest that I buy a pair of Simms waders instead.

Well, my experience with Orvis is NOT good. I went through 8 pairs of Silver Label waders in 5 years. It got to the point that when I would bring them back to Orvis, all I got was grief. The last time I took them back to Orvis, they charged me $35.00 and the store where I returned them sent them back to me insted of to be repaired.

As a result of that, I have not made a purchase from Orvis and am getting ready to put all my Orvis stuff up for sale.

At last I said I had had enough. I bought a pair you don't want to hear about.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

Everyone is different. I have silver labels and use them a lot, never had a problem. Orvis customer service is excellent in my opinion. Treat your waders well and they should return the favor.

------------------
    <*(((((><
    Jim in CO

4. Default

I would also check out the Patagonia Watermasters, in the same price range. I've never had a less than excellent product from them, and their customer service and guarantee are great.

I recently went through 3 different pairs of Tailwaters in the bootfoot model. All 3 went back to Orvis due to leaks. I wound up with Simms RiverTeks....no leaks to date.

kphume-
    Sounds like all your Orvis fishing gear is junk,sorry to hear that,i suppose you will be selling the gear at junk prices,be sure and post it here first.
    Mike

Now, now, Mike.....

I never said ALL of the Orvis equipement I own is junk, In fact, the ONLY issue I have with Orvis is the waders and their attitude about standing behind them.

I'm a very opinionated person and refuse to do business with companies that do not treat me like I treat my clients. I have not been in a Kmart store since they got Rosie O'Donnell to be thier spokesperson.

Also, since I guide a good bit, I can not in good faith have a client use Orvis equipement that I claim to stand behind, when I really don't.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

The best luck I have had is with Cabellas Guide Tech. On my third season, including some serious steelhead bushwacking, and only one small leak so far.

------------------
    Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

I have a pair of Orvis waders that are bottom of the line and have had no problem with them for 4 years.I always fold mine and put them in a giant ziploc bag pushing all the air out. Then hang it on a hanger in the closet.Ozone will break down the membrane in the waders that helps keep you dry.UV will also do this.I don't know how to prevent the UV problem from happening though.To each his own.

Thanks for all of the responses so far! Olive_Matuka, I have been considering the Patagonia waders, but there's not a source for them locally and I'm a very odd size. Basically I like that the tailwaters are essentially a waist high that can be chest high if needed, and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

JeremyH

+ Reply to Thread