+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slabs of San Diego City Lakes

Temecula, Southwest Riverside County, CA.

Default Slabs of San Diego City Lakes

Float tubed Lake Hodges in Escondido, CA. this Saturday the 16th for some fat Gills and Crappie. I was using a Reddington 9 foot 6 weight, full sinking line, with some small Crystal Flash White Wooly Buggers in size 6. Started at 0630 in the stick ups and left the lake with 9 Gills and 4 Crappie. Left around 10:30 when the wind starts to howl. Anybody need info just send me a message. Thanks for reading.

Sounds fun! I need to try the sinking line sometime.

Socalfishn, Welcome aboard to FAOL. I think you will like this site. It has something for everybody. Nice report on lake Hodges. I might try it this fall when it cools down a little. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I lived in Escondido during the 80's and used to fish Hodges, Dixon and Wolford frequently. I wasn't fly fishing back then and spent almost as much time fishing the beaches as I did the lakes around Escondido. Used to catch a lot of crappie with shiners back then and I know that the water levels haven't been very consistant over the years. How is Hodges doing these days?

Greg

I grew up in San Diego and fished all the city lakes there with my Dad.

The fishing can be fantastic, and there were very few fly fishermen back in those days. Something about the way a fly moves that the fish haven't gotten used to.....at least back then.

As the summer progresses the topwater bass fishing can be amazing....poppers around the brush, along the outside of the reeds, some REALLY big bass live in these lakes.

Plus there are crappie and some really HUGE bluegills...we ate them back then, and I remember catching lots of one pound 'gills...nice fillets. Most fishermen didn't bother with the bluegills, everyone was focused on the bass....

In the middle of the summer we used to catch some big channel cats on topwater, too...some went close to fifteen pounds....bit of surprise..they pull prettty hard.

Those lakes are an amazing resource...limited fishing time and tight controls are probably why.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

If you like gill and shellcracker fishing give Lake Perris a try. It is red hot right now for these two species. I have fished it 3 times in the last 2 weeks and have been averaging 15-25 fish a session in the 9-10" range. Last Wednesday I took 4 shellcrackers that were 12" each. I love trout fishing in the Sierra, but panfish this size are so much fun on a 3 wt. Stillwater midging or fishing size 14-16 soft hackle nymphs under a bobber, in 7-10' of water has been red hot for these brutes. The big copper nose/ Florida strain gills are such a treat.

Lanny

Welcome to the board Socalfishn. Hodges has had its ups and downs over the years as many waters do and I understand it has been on a upswing lately. I haven't fished it in years though I live only about 30 minutes away but I used to fish it extensively in the late 70's and 80's. Hodges occasionally turns out some very large crappie in the 3 to 4 lb range, usually caught by bass anglers using crankbaits or spinnerbaits.

By the way, guide Conway Bowman, who some of you have seen on Fly fishing programs on ESPN and Versus networks fly fishing for sharks, redfish, stripers, trout, and other species at various locations has a day job as reservoir keeper at Hodges. Each year he runs some spring time bass fishing schools at the lake and bass seminars at local sportsman's shows such as the Fred Hall's events.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 05-27-2009 at 12:55 AM.

I grew up in San Diego. I had no idea the fishing I was missing until I moved away.

Cal E. Batis

+ Reply to Thread