+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oh you from the west

Default Oh you from the west

Or who go there from environs of haste. I don't get out much . . . well, rarely past the castle walls of warmwater fly fishing. So, I'll pose a question. Having traveled out towards Yellowstone and the Tetons a number of times, I was always so impressed with the beauty of the Snake River, I believe, that runs to the east of the Tetons. Having been to Mitre Peak in New Zealand a couple of times, I would have a hard time trying to choose which of the two is the most spectacular visually. Now, I'll bring this back to trout fishing. Why is it that nearly every thread and/or print article on trout fishing in the area the stories feature Yellowstone rather than the Tetons? I hear trout don't live in ugly places, so, again, why Yellowstone rather than the Tetons. I prefer, by the way, to suggest this is a matter of innocence rather than ignorance. Thanks. JGW

WOULD YOU HUSH?????

I've been working to keep the Teton's a secret for years. Let's just let all the crowds keep going to Yellowstone.

Not only the Snake, but lots of smaller creeks that feed the Snake hold some great fish.

My wife and I go almost every year. Next year, we're doing 4 days in Yellowstone and 1.5 weeks in GTNP.

Shhhhhhhhh. It's a secret!!!

More cuts than 'bows or browns, and they're not as sexy.

I think because of the 3 major rivers, the Yellowstone, the Firehole and the Madison (plus others), are all accessed with in the park and when you hear 'Yellostone' it is more with the park area than the individual river. Yes, the Tetons are picture postcard beautiful!

The biggest secret is Teton Valley, located on the west side of the Tetons 25 miles from Jackson. Maybe we don't have quite as dramatic views of the Grand and the rest of the Teton range, however we have as good of fishing as the Jackson side, and usually with alot less people to share the experience with you.
    If you enjoy fishing drys to ultra selective trout, The Teton river is for you. Flowing through our valley, it is as technical and challenging as any spring creek in the country. Very similar to fishing Silver Creek with incredible hatches all season long and some very large Rainbows and Cutts to be had.
    Great fishing and solitude can also be found all season long in the canyon stretches of the Teton river and on a number of small streams in the area. Throw in the Henry's Fork and South Fork rivers less then an hours drive away, excellent winter fishing and uncrowded snow skiing at Grand Targhee and you have heaven.
    Just do not tell too many people about it here after you have visited. We like being under the radar. Just kidding, the word is slowly getting out, it has grown alot since I first moved here.
    I have lived here now for eight years and I plan on never leaving. Hope to see you here sometime, Rob

Blog Entries

All of which are in the east not the west , don'tca know !

------------------
    I could be wrong , It seems unlikely , but I suppose it could happen.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread