+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crown Bamboo Fly Rod Info Needed

Default Crown Bamboo Fly Rod Info Needed

I recently picked up an interesting bamboo fly rod and I'm looking for some info on it. It's a Crown bamboo rod KIT. It's a 5 piece "kit" as follows:

1 - reversible handle/reel seat which allows me to insert the butt end bamboo section in either end affording me either a fly or casting setup
    1 - butt section
    2 - fly tip sections
    1 - casting tip section

All stored in a balsawood (I think) box.

The fly rod assembles into an 8' rod, no idea what the weight would be but I'm hoping a 4 or 5 wt.

While the box isn't in that great a condition, the fly rod is great. The only issue is the glue on the butt section female ferrule has failed and I can pull the ferrule off - no biggie as I have some rodbond. Also the wrappings on that ferrule is ruined so I have to find some thread. All ferrule connections seem tight and smooth.

2 questions. First has anyone heard of this brand before? Any comments? I definitely plan on fishing it but was curious if there's any worth to it or is it just another production rod from years ago?

Second, who has a good supply of verigated silk thread with color pictures so I can try and match the color of my thread? the color looks like white and green. I can't salvage the existing thread as most of it is gone or broken in a number of places.

Thanks for the help.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Steve,

Where do you get rodbond? I managed to pull the female ferrule off of my shorty bamboo rod with the male still stuck in it. If I can manage to get the male out, I can use that (I hope!) to get the female put back on. Thanks.

Jim

Hi Steve,

I could be wrong, but I think your rod is a Post WWII Japanese build.
    Thousands upon thousands of these rods were sold to Amercian GI's
    in occupied Japan.

The "balsa" wood box is the giveaway.

Not worth a lot in todays bamboo rod market, but could make an okay
    fishable rod.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

your rod would be a ww2 fly / casting rod... the box is not balsa but ho wood (made from the wood of a certain magnolia tree)... it is the same wood used in saya making (wooden scabbard of a katana)... anyhow these rods were sold to soldiers and tourist durring ww2 till about 2 years after the war... the tiny mycro cameras were sold also durring that time which used a 17mm or 16.5mm roll film that took 8 black & white snapshots... when the pictures from these cameras were developed at the lab, they could be blown up to a whoping size of about 2 by 2inches... there are still mycro cameras that can be found but usually around 100$... also filter lenses, tripods, and cases were available for them... a complete set today cost around 1000$...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

I agree with Bobby, it sounds like you have a post WWII Japanese rod. American soldiers brought these home by the millions. Not worth much, not very well built. Probably won't fish very well, or should I say very long(the ferrules & guides were poorly mounted, the thread comes off). These come up daily on ebay and in mint condition bring between $50-$100.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Crown-Ba...3%3A3|294%3A50
    Last edited by Host Ray; 05-15-2009 at 12:37 AM.

Jim - I got Rodbond from Anglers Workshop but just about any shop that sells rod building supplies should have it.

as for the rod, thanks for the info. I figured it wasn't worth much but hey, ya never know. I plan on fishing with it once I get the ferrule glued back on and I'll have to find some thread that is a close match to re-wrap the ferrule.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

+ Reply to Thread