+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winds in the East, Fish Bite Least?

Hybrid View

Default Winds in the East, Fish Bite Least?

Hi All, I have thought of that old saying several times lately. The last few chances (not many) that I have had a chance to go fishing, the wind has been out of the east.

Any thoughts on this old saying? Have any of you paid attention to this over the years?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Gandolf,

I don't pay attention to any of those 'weather' related sayings, nor do I fool around with lunar tables, water temps, or water conditions when warm water fishing.

The fish can ALWAYS be caught if you can find them and figure them out.

Too much data from tournaments that fish regardless of weather/water conditions shows that someone always catches some.

My main problems is usually just finding time to go. If I let the wind/weather become too much of a factor, I'd NEVER get to the lake.

So, I go when I can GO, and I deal with the conditions as I find them...sometimes it's too much for me, and I don't do well, but I know that it was ME, not the fish or the weather that caused me not to catch fish.

Fish when you can fish...every time you can fish, and you can become a better fisher....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I think about that, along with the rest of the saying all the time, but haven't really seen any effects on my fishing. Some days my style works, some days it doesn't and I struggle, but I don't think the wind's direction has much to do with it except when I want to fish a certain area and a strong wind is blowing the wrong way, but that's another issue.

I am with "Buddy" on this. I go when I can and do not pay much attention to the "old saying", but, it would be interesting to keep notes and see if your "not so good catching" days fall on the days that the "old saying" states are not good fishing days.

I do know of some that will not fish on the days that the wind is out of the East, but, I will fish any day that I can...
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Fish relate to certain areas when the wind is out of the west.
    Since the "prevailing wind" direction for the latitude the U.S. is in is from the west, fisherman get used to fishing certain areas that produce fish much of the time, and chances are the wind is blowing out of the west during the majority of their fishing trips.

When the wind is out of a different direction, the fish adjust to different feeding areas. Anglers can be a bit more stubborn about changing their habits.

The above is less true in rivers and streams. However, if the wind is out of the East, it is likely because of some weather-related pattern, which in combination with barometric changes, temperature changes and such, will often have a negative affect on the fish's behavior.

A local walleye pro has told our fishing club repeatedly that,"There are ALWAYS active fish somewhere in a system. You just gotta find them. Guaranteed somebody else will."

I generally go fishing whenever I can, regardless of weather. Sometimes the worst weather provides some excellent fishing! Strong winds sometimes deter me, but little else will.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Around here an east wind often means you are on the back side of a pressure front. The front can affect the fishing in several ways. The wind is a symptom in those cases rather than a cause.

I think there's an awful lot to be said for FishnDave's thoughts as well. We are often a stubborn bunch when it comes to altering our fishing patterns.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Default Cows work too

We discovered as kids that the fishing was better when the cows were standing up, and not so good when they were lying down. Of course, I'm sure that if I did a scientific experiment, I'd figure out that cows stand up when the wind is from the west or south.

Who knows. Go fishing when you can.

+ Reply to Thread