+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irritated

Default Irritated

Background: I've been out of fly tying for the past 2.5 years, then earlier this year my wife decides she doesn't want to be married anymore. So now it's just me and my daughter. Since I have more free time, I decided it's time to start again. When we moved 2.5 years ago into this house, two of my three vises disappeared, along with some other stuff. I "lost" a Thompson Cobra Vise with all the trimmings, and a Regal knockoff. I now have a basic Thompson knockoff to work with. I'm getting a nice vise from another member, so I'm looking to get more materials.

I find out yesterday that one of three local fly shops shut down last year . The Angler's Lie was an independent shop with a good staff and was excellently stocked with everything I needed. I'm now stuck with two Orvis stores, one of which has reduced the size of it's fly fishing section to less than half of its original size. Don't get me wrong, I like the guys at the Orvis shop, but it's starting to turn into A&F. Feh. I don't know where else to go at this point. I really don't want to drive up past Baltimore. Oh well.

Jim

Unfortunately you will have to do what a lot of us do....................internet shop.

If only Squander Mtn had a decent fly shop. IDIOTS!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Jim, Welcome to FAOL and the BB here. Sounds like you've had a run of bad luck or foul play around you. I agree with BBW on the internet shopping. I know it's nice to do hands on, touchy feely when buying flytying materials and tools but it's not always possible. My nearest store is a BPS and it's 75 miles one way to it. Check out our sponsor links on FAOL. We have a bunch of nice people on here. Also throw out what you need or want on the "Things Wanted" link at the top of this bulletin board and you will probably get more than you ask for.
    The stuff you are going through now is just stuff. I know from years of experience that this too shall pass. You have your daughter, and a whole lot of fishing to do so get busy. Oh yeah, stay in touch on this site and you'll have more people helping you out than than you'll know what to do with. Jimsnarocks
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Bummer, Jim... My sympathies. I had a marriage yanked right out from under me many long years ago, I understand. It's behind me now for years and I have a great family. I only think of it very seldom.... The thompson is a pretty good vise, actually. the vise I use is one I built, basically just like a thompson, only made by me.
    No big deal, really as I'm a metalsmith by trade.
    PM me your address and I'll send you a care package of tying stuff...Gratis..
    Later, bro. and welcome to FAOL...............................ModocDan

By the way, If you internet shop at all see Ron at Hook &Hackle, He's a great guy and a sponsor here, and once you buy from him you'll get emails about sales every week. Mention FAOL, and he'll give you a deal most of the time. Ron's exellent and his stuff is very good quality
    Last edited by modocdan; 05-12-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Jim,
    I have been in your situation, and I am sorry about the stress you've gone through, but someday it will all be in the rear view mirror, and you will appreciate your life even more.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

nighthawk Guest

Next time I am planning a trip to Cabela's or one of our fly shops I will shoot you a PM. Anytime you need anything just shoot me a pm and I will see if I can get it for you. I have a good supply of stuff and I am always willing to share.

jimswanson, this is the place to be... Great folks here, they are sincere real people...
    if you get down this way, (I'm not to far from you) maybe we can hit a stream in the SNP...

Tim

Smile

"Urban Angler" has moved into the old Angler's Lie store. Some of the same people work there now. If you need it they will get it for you.

John

Jim

Welcome to the Board!!!!!! It's a great place to be and LOT"S of good folks here!!!!!!!!!!

Fatman

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman John View Post
    "Urban Angler" has moved into the old Angler's Lie store. Some of the same people work there now. If you need it they will get it for you.

John
    Hey, that's good news!

And thanks for all the offers, folks. I still have two big containers full of material, but the pheasant tails seemed to have disappeared along with my vises. Cobras are tough to find. I really prefer looking at the feathers and pick one out versus getting what I get from mail order.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread