+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SA bonefish ad talking about Belize

Hybrid View

Default SA bonefish ad talking about Belize

I received a new "Catch magaine" electronically yesterday and while looking through it I saw an advertisement for Scientific Anglers bonefish line. In that ad was the following quote: "The Belize government has made "Catch and Release" the law for all bonefish, permit and tarpon caught within their waters. Great decision.!"

So is that a great decision? I am definately in favor of protecting the resource, but I have deep concerns about C&R becoming law. I guess we have certain streams or bodies of water that are totally C&R here in the states, but I just hate the smell of animal rights positions on anglers. We now elevate the resource too precious to kill or harvest. While I never even caught a bonefish, something tells me they aren't the best eating anyhow, but it is just the position that you must release all fish that I have a concern about.

Anyhow, what do the rest of you think, did Belize do a good thing or not?

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Smile The Endless Bounty of the Sea ?

Hi Clay,

I don't see the hand of animal rights people in this.

Just tossing it out there, without the benefit of having the complete regulation to read. Re: "but it is just the position that you must release all fish that I have a concern about." Are there other species listed besides these three? If not, "then all fish", or all species in Belize are not protected under this regulation, just those three and nobodies saying that we can't fish for them.

So we're left with three species that the government no doubt see's as an exhaustible natural resource and a revenue generator for it's economy. They may simply be trying to protect the resource so that your descendants and mine, have something to fish for in the future. In doing so, a few more people in Belize get to keep their jobs.

Out here we just went through a battle over a proposed bill that would have de-listed the Striped Bass as a sport fish and all that entails. In effect, having the exact opposite effect of what Belize is doing.
    On issues like this, I'll more times than not come down on the side of governments that recognize the value of, and wish to protect their sport fisheries for future generations.

Best, Dave

Last edited by Dave E; 05-12-2009 at 05:21 PM.

I will wait until I can see/read the actual C&R bill.

I believe it is important to protect a valueable resource like these fish and think they did the right thing. From what I recall seeing the State of Florida has laws currently that do not allow anglers to remove some fish from the water at all..for example Goliath Grouper & I think Tarpon.
    Bill A

Not a bad decision. I think they are more worried about losing traveling angler revenue to local people eating all the game fish than they are about sport fishermen keeping trophies. Besides, I believe that reef fish (snappers, etc.) are better eating.

On a tangent, I remember one of the TV bass fishermen went out in deeper water fishing for tarpon. His bait of choice? Bonefish. Feh.

Jim

I don't know the situation down in Belize at all. While I understand the reasoning behind it to some extent it doesn't seem quite right to me either. I've yet to catch a permit or a bonefish, but I know some keep permit for eating. To me, the bigger concern would be catching a potential world record and being forced to let it go without even having the option of bringing it in to get weighed on a certified scale on shore.

In Florida I know that its true for goliath grouper that they cannot even be removed from the water if caught. While I understand the states concern about protecting this species due to its critically endangered status or somewhere close to that, I hope its not true for tarpon as well. While I know they want to discourage fishing for goliath grouper so their numbers can rebound, I cant see the state wanting to discourage tarpon fishing. Denying anglers the chance to even take a photo with their catch before releasing it doesn't seem right to me.

While there are some that will say"who cares if you have a picture," to me a picture really does say 1000 words when sharing stories with family and friends so I'd at least like to be able to hold my next tarpon for a quick snapshot before letting to go. I'm already disappointed we can't do the same with goliath grouper anymore. Most people who've never seen one don't realize how big they can get and it's always entertaining telling someone I caught a grouper that weighed more than me, and then showing the pictures when they don't believe it.

+ Reply to Thread