+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not FF---Killing Stumps

Hybrid View

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Not FF---Killing Stumps

Hello Folks,

I was wondering if I might be able to get some help from this very knowledgeable group. When the contractor cleared the lot for my house, he of course cleared the area for the house completely, trees, stumps and all. On another section of the property, he cut a LOT of 6-10 inch trees and left the stumps cut off low at ground level. My problem is that these stumps keep trying to grow and for the last couple of years have produced 4-6 foot bushes. I trim the bushes but there they are again growing like crazy the next season. Short of jerking the stumps out by the roots, is there an easy, environmentally friendly way to kill these stumps. I'm not trying to get rid of the stumps themselves, just trying to prevent underbrush they create each year. Thanks in advance for your help. 8T

When we had a number of trees removed here we had a fellow come out and "grind" the stumps out. It took the stump clear down past ground level, and we've not had a problem with re growth. Made some pretty good mulch too.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

8T,
    I feel your pain! Grinding the stumps is by far the best thing to do. If that's not an option there's a liquid product from Dow by the name of Tordon RTU that does a great job of translocating down, killing/preventing sucker growth. The cut to the suckers should be fresh for the chemical to work best. Cut the suckers or stump, give a little squirt of the Tordon and let it work. Little bit goes long ways. Don't do it prior to a rain and don't let it splash/drift on anything you want to save. As a commercial pesticide applicator I get squeeze bottle of Tordon from a distributor but it's probably available from local nursery or Home Depot type store. Their version may have another name. Look for something with Tordon's active ingredients: Picloram (5%) and 2,4D (21%). Please wear rubber gloves. Good luck.
    Grassman

Smile

Yes I was right --- thought of posting that saltpeter would kill stumps so I checked Google. Bore hole fill with saltpeter plug and the tree stump will die. BILL

I know that there are chemicals, like Grassman advised, that may kill the stump, but it will still 'be there'. You can cut or grind the stump dowm below grade, thus depriving it of sunlight and hopefully killing it...but it will still 'be there'. Some writer once said that 'life finds a way'...stumps are hard to kill. Lot of latent life in those roots.

But, taking them 'out' works EVERY time...it's a lot of work, but if you ever need to dig/plant/change the level/or install ANYTHING below grade in those areas, the stumps will be in the way.

Dig around them, cut the roots, pull them out (we switched to a FWD pick up for the pulling power after the mule died). I know for certain that if you remove them, they won't come back to haunt you ever again.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

Eight Thumbs, what you are talking about is an example of coppicing. You can keep cutting the foliage back to the stump every couple of weeks and the trees will die off over the next couple of years. Grinding can be expensive. Depending on the species of the trees involved, it might not even work. You might have the roots sprout back if the trees are from sepcies that are inclinded to do so (some poplars, willows, red alder, etc...) If you want to kill the trees by cutting, you really will need to cut the sprouts back several times a year. There is an ash tree in the U.K. that is over 600 years old. It has been coppiced more or less continuously since it was planted. (It was planted to be coppiced.) Coppicing and the related technique of pollarding are the best ways known to humanity to extend the life of a tree.

You can probably kill the stumps with table salt in lieu of saltpeter, but table salt will hang around in the soil and might kill other things until it washes out. You might be able to build a fire around each stump and burn them to death. The drawback to that is that charcoal, included charred stumps, takes about as long as sandstone to rot.

I'd like to know how it goes for you.

Ed

edit: For some reason or other, I thought that you were in the Pacific NW, so I listed species from that area. Even my geographically challenged mind is vaguely aware that NW SC is NOT in the NW part of the continent. Do you know what kind of trees you are trying to get rid of.
    Last edited by EdD; 05-12-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Depending on species, treating the cut stumps with borax can work. When we want to kill trees and leave them standing, copper nails into the base of the tree can do that as well.

Tordon kills about everything. We use it on noxious weeds. I highly advise against drinking or eating it.

On the other hand, bushes make great bird habitat.

If you have time and a large concrete basket type planter in your yard, put the planter on the stump and wait a couple of years. Go buy some fill dirt and your done!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default FAOLers Always Come Through With The Info!

Thanks Folks,

You guys are great! While I'm not a tree expert, I think that most of my intended victims are wild cherry and red oak with a few odd strays throw in. I've noticed that the bigger trees seem to die pretty quietly when cut. The two to six inch guys want to keep going. I've already had to grind some big stumps out of the front yard and that ran between $50 and $120 per tree which places it out my price range for the back. Even though they are comparatively small trees ($50 dollar range) there are too many of them. Jerking or pulling then out is not practical because of the terrain. I will probably go to Lowe's and resort to some kind of chemical warfare. Once again, your suggestions and help are greatly appreciated. 8T

1)stump grinder
    2)Round up
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread