+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To many mid-priced rods on the market !

Default To many mid-priced rods on the market !

Hi,

I was looking over the market last days for kind of "the best buck for the deal" rod.
    Did someone have by any chance the oportunity to really compare those nice mid-priced rods of the "non-fancy" brand, i.e. ECHO, Albright, Elkhorn, TFO, Fly logic, diamondback, Redington all of those brands offer same range of price for rods that sounds very good when you read the reviews over the web...
    I don't have some shops with the six first ones near my place, so how can I compare them...

I own a TFO pro, that I like very much, but when I compare the comestics of those rods to the pictures of the others they don't seem to have the best cosmetic, but they are very efficient and please to cast.

So I ask your opinions on a comparison between the seven brand I just mentioned, did anyone had made a real direct comparison side to side ? (Cosmetics, casting strokes, lightness etc...)

[This message has been edited by Guile (edited 25 February 2005).]

I've had a some experience with the Reddington rods over the last 4 or 5 years. I own three currently and had 2 others - traded one and gave one to my son. All three I currently have are RS2's; a 2 wgt, a 3 wgt, and a 5 wgt. The one I gave to my son is a RedFly 4 wgt. The RS2's are a med-fast, very light in the hand rod. The RedFly was a moderate action rod.

As a matter of fact I have a 9', 5wgt, RS2 rod for sale at this time. $100.00 and I will ship FedEx in a plastic tube to mainland US. It's a good river smallmouth rod.

Other than that I've fished Fenwick, Penn, and St Crois rods and have found them all to be quite accectable.

Donald

I'd get a st croix as opposed to any of those rods you mentioned. or the albright.

[This message has been edited by mikeytwoshoes (edited 26 February 2005).]

I have a TFO 3 wt and enjoy it. I also have a FLyLogic 9 wt FLP which I consider to be a whole lot of rod for the money. I really love casting with it. FlyLogic is a domestic product if that is important to you. Really, is it not fun to have all of these wonderful choices?

There are many very good fly rods, that are not expensive. Many brand names come to mind...

Redington
    Cortland
    St. Criox

are brands that I am familiar with, and trust.

~Parnelli

I have not cast a Fly Logic in years, and not cast an Echo at all. I would happily recommend any of the others.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

+ Reply to Thread