Thread: Help Adding Distance to Casts

Threaded View

Fishing the rivers and small ponds in central Kansas I probably use the roll cast 90% of the time. I got really frustrated catching limbs and weeds on the backcast so learning the roll cast became a matter of survival. I know my FF skills are very rusty right now but I fully intend to do something about it. I was a never great distance caster but I will work on that too.

What I do know is that fly fishing can out preform spinning rigs and bait casters in certain situations. Lakes in South Dakota are stocked with a fish the locals call "rock bass". When I travel on a bike I usually pack FF equipment and while camping next to Deerfield Lake near Hill City I decided to give it a go. I stopped counting after 15 and several fellows had to come over to see what in the heck was going on. I showed them some dry flies, streamers and the 4wt Yellowstone fly rod I bought on Ebay six months before the trip. I returned the fish back to their watery home but I think a few of those guys had something to think about that day.
    Last edited by Jtaylor; 09-07-2020 at 06:59 AM.