+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Adding Distance to Casts

Hybrid View

Default Help Adding Distance to Casts

When i first started out FF I began by self-learning all the basics on casting and have slowly progressed... short, roll, reach, steeple, single haul, double haul etc. (Double haul is a work in progress but coming along.) I can currently throw about 60ft comfortaby and accurately before mechanics start to fall apart.

I often fish warm-water, larger lakes and rivers from the bank, and when blind casting would like to cover more water or reach particular areas from shore that the only way I can put a fly on the spot is with a good long cast (submerged blow downs, weed beds, cruising pods of carp etc)

I have been through all of the great casting info on this site, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good resource (book, dvd, etc) that they have used to add some length to their cast. I would like to add 15 to 20 feet if I could.

I practice a couple of times a week, and do not have any local knowledge resource available to me (instructor, club). Thanks for any input you can throw my way!

Blog Entries

Well, the obvious solution, finding a competent instructor, seems to be out. That leaves a couple other options that I can see.

1. Videotape yourself casting, or have someone tape you. From both sides, from the front, while you are casting at your limit. Send the tape to a pro, like JC here.

2. Come to a fish-in and ask for assistance. This not only gets you assistance but you get to meet and fish with all those nice people.

3. Find a REALLY big riser a couple feet beyond what you can reach, and imagine how big that fish is, and how it would feel to catch it... incentive!

Smile

Dynamics of fly casting by Joan Wulff is an excellant dvd. I was also self taught and it helped me.

Going for distance is all about mechanics and a good double haul. the end of the dvd also shows you some flaws and how to correct them. I highly recommend it.

as your mechanics improve distance will come, and it will also make those shorter
    distances easy to hit in in tough conditions

Being a person who lives in an area with limited fly fishing resources , I can understand your position. I do agree that Joan Wulff's DVD is great. But if your a book worm like me , Master The Cast by George V. Roberts Jr is the best I've seen. The way it studies the mechanics that make up the cast and builds on each lesson and each technique is terrific. I do agree theres no replacement for hands on time with an instructor , but if thats not an option theres always a way to find your own instruction. Just my 2 cents.

One last resort. Get mad. Really mad. At yourself, fate, casting in general, whatever. Decide you will cast so hard that you will destroy the &%$# rod on the next cast. You will 'make' the leader sizzle on the way past your ear. Stand up straight. Stop the ^%$# rod. Quit babying the fly rod! Hit it! Quit casting like a girl! Step up to it. Either you can cast or you can't; which will it be? Start listening for the backing knot to rip through the guides like a machine gun. A double-haul is never in progress. Either you can or not.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    One last resort. Get mad. Really mad. At yourself, fate, casting in general, whatever. Decide you will cast so hard that you will destroy the &%$# rod on the next cast. You will 'make' the leader sizzle on the way past your ear. Stand up straight. Stop the ^%$# rod. Quit babying the fly rod! Hit it! Quit casting like a girl! Step up to it. Either you can cast or you can't; which will it be? Start listening for the backing knot to rip through the guides like a machine gun. A double-haul is never in progress. Either you can or not.
    Unless they casts like LadyFisher!! <Does she know you used this as a reference?>
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by K3's View Post
    I can currently throw about 60ft comfortaby and accurately before mechanics start to fall apart.

(submerged blow downs, weed beds, cruising pods of carp etc)

I would like to add 15 to 20 feet if I could.
    Sixty foot conformably excellent, as someone mentioned above you are B.E.H.I.
    beyond external human influences lol,

Please describe your rod and line, might be time for a change,

As for myself, I really like and cast Mastery WF-9-F
    distance
    on my Orvis Trident PM10+
    and Cortland 333HT WF8F Bass on a Lamiglas F907

The eight weight is slower and a real slinger under low cover
    65 foot casts are a breeze.

The nine weight Trident is my all around practice/fish stick, nice, fast and crisp,
    seventy five foot casts I'd bet would feel as easy as your 60-footers did!
    I'd lay money down on you if you had this rod,,, I feel like a bass pro salesmen :)

Are you throwing a sinker line?, my pet wands each have one weight lighter lines in Cortland 333HT WF7F/S Sink Tip & Cortland 444 WF8S Rocket taper
    kinda like having two double barrow shotguns.

My orvis rod and the rocket taper casts well with a slight open loop to forty feet and aprox a four foot loop to sixty feet. Still makes a nice tight
    good looking side or off kilter cast to go the distance.. Very appropriate name for this line..

Not sure if any of my lines are still available as these are many years old, and still in fair shape.
    I keep the lines polished up with a good conditioner and cleaner as well..

Would love to test out a new sharkskin line one day, some day...
    with one of those new sage bass rods..
    This post may end up costing me...

Have fun!

Steve

PS;
    I would not recommend as my friend UB above, closing one's eyes while tossing these, or as UB dose state all of a sudden you will understand! lol
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 05-12-2009 at 06:46 AM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

There seems to be a battle in the fly line business. Who can make the one with the least friction. Worth watching.

Steve, but since you asked. Yes, the SA Shark will add distance (increases line speed due to less friction and better aerodynamics). No doubt; it will. Some others may too,,, but it will.

Default Sharks can FLY !!

JC, .. .I have a few SA Sharkskins since last season. They FLY! (bought 'em while the Cnd $ was high

I have an "impression" that they are less "heavy" than the regular SA line ... but I like that as it gets into it's own once I have +55 feet out the guides.
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread