Assatege is just southwest of OC and is a great fishing beach with shallow backwaters to explore. The DE beaches are just north on the Atlantic side and many have fishing beach access.

There are a number of locations where you can fly fish for flounder...yep, flounder! Look at a map of DE for Cape Henelopen. You can also fish the Atlantic side just north of the Indian River Bridge...watch out for the surfers and the jetty jocks

I suggest a 9 or 10 wt. (borrow one if it's only a week). I usually fish lighter weights; but, the heavier rod will be best if the wind kicks up (and you only have 1 rod to use). You'll need a stripping basket (can be homemade plastic dishpan with a wader belt) and in July you can sneaker wade. We use intermediate lines on the beach. You're fishing the surf...not for depth.

Stripers like baitfish patterns (match the hatch) and flounder like orange and rootbeer clousers...you just never know. Bucktail deceivers and clousers are easy to tie and you should already have natural and white in your fly tying kit. Chartreuse, olive, pink, silver and combinations of the same...black and purple at night.

A couple of things to remember about fishing the salt...

Fish the moving tides. Some places it's better on the falling and others on the rise. You should be able to find a tide chart online.

Watch the moon phase. Fishing is great on a full moon at night, not as good during the day.

Fish before or after the sunbathers go home and watch your backcast (kids, people, etc)

We typically fish early morning and late evening when everyone else, except the fishermen are gone.

Bmail me if you want more local info...