+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stripping basket

Default stripping basket

Can anyone recommend a reliable, sturdy stripping basket for fresh water fly fishing? I have my eye on a March Brown (www.marchbrown.com) on Ebay right now; please advise.

JJW

I use the gray one made for saltwater by Orvis. Cost about $45? but worth it. I use it in my jon boat, and Kayak. Swear by it when in my float tube!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Kytroutbum (edited 02 December 2005).]

For the price of $20 you can't beat the backets made by L.L. Bean.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

I've owned several commercially available stripping baskets over the years and haven't found anything that worked any better for me than the good old Rubbermaid #2951 Dishpan with a dozen 1 ?" loops made of 125lb. shock tippet installed in it's base to keep the line from fouling. It isn't sexy, but it works and it's easy enough to pack into my luggage for air travel.

[This message has been edited by Dave E (edited 02 December 2005).]

Would someone please tell a newbie like me...what is a stripping basket?

Blog Entries

ima ... I don't use one but it is a basket that catches the loose line as you strip it in . Or when you strip slack line out prior to casting . I keeps the line neat and prevents tangles so that when you cast you dont have to worry about the line getting caught on your gear or floating downstream and getting snagged . It folds into a neat pile in the basket . I havent described it very well but you almost have to see the construction of one to get the idea of how it prevents tangles . In a boat it keeps you from putting a loop around your feet , the oarlock , some gear , or an oar etc . which can result in you tossing you gear overboard when you cast.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Ima,
    I use 1 in freshwater & my main use is to keep the flyline out of the water, which can grab the line & stop your cast short. Keep in mind that my experience is MINISCULE compared to most on this board! I'm sure someone will have a much better description....I'll be watching as I want to learn as much as this ol' Irish mind can absorb!
    BTW....WELCOME! This is the best board on the net, & that is FACT!!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!

[This message has been edited by ohiotuber (edited 03 December 2005).]
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

It is exactly what people say. A basket in which you place your line when stripping it in. It is generally used in salt water surf fishing situations where you have a hugh problem with surf pulling your free line all over the place and getting it tangled with mung. Below is LL Bean's product.

You can see the sticking up thinggies that stop your line from tangling.

All that being said I have one that I hate. It is a mesh basket and I have the hardest time stripping in line and getting it to the basket. I have wound up putting my basket on my left hip, slung low like a gunfighter . Does anyone have any advise as to how to move you stripping motion and place your line in the basket with a smooth flow. Do you strip back, then bring it forward and drop the line in the basket?

jed

[This message has been edited by Jed (edited 03 December 2005).]

I have been using the Payette River model by D.B.Dunn for the past five years and I love it. It's constructed of a heavy nylon mesh which is light and flexible so it doesn't get in my way. It has virtually eliminated the frustration of sticks and crud tangling my line while adding distance to my casting and extending the life of my lines.

Jim Smith

Southie,

You can't go wrong with the basket that Dave E. recommends. I looked for several months at baskets; most of them were over-priced. I was given the "opportunity" to try Dave's basket; it works beautifully! Thanks, Dave!

+ Reply to Thread