+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tenkara USA (Japaneese Flyfishing)

CM,

It does sound like a very fun way to fish. I'm 70% convinced to get a rod. I furl my own leaders, so I'll end up making my own line for it.

I tend to fish real big waters, but I usually fish in close, This system would be great for 80 of my fishing, that's the only question I'm still mulling, do I want to give up the other 20%. Of course, I think it would enhance the 80%.

To be honest, the other big selling point, in reading, a number of folks claim it was a method used by the Samurai. I also study Japanese swordsmanship (Iaido), so that has some synergistic interest to me.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

OK, I've had a chance to fish the 6:4 Yamame rod and compare it side by side with the 5:5 Ebisu.

gzacckey,

If you are an ultralight fan and will also be fishing for bluegills, I think you would like the Ebisu better, and maybe even the Iwana which is really his ultralight rod (unless there's a good chance you might catch a 4 or 5 pound largemouth when fishing for 'gills). The Yamame feels like a much more powerful rod. Unfortunately, that raises the question of comparing the Ebisu 5:5 with an Ebisu 6:4, and I can't help you with that one. I really like the flex of the 5:5 I have and I can recommend it highly. There is a tenkara presentation by a noted Japanese tenkara instructor at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum this coming Saturday. Tenkara USA will be there with demo rods. If they have both the 5:5 and the 6:4 Ebisu there, I'll try to compare them.

pszy22,

If Czech nymphing would be a major reason for you getting a tenkara rod, you might prefer the Yamame. I think the Ebisu, at least the 5:5 that I have would be a little light for fishing a team of several heavily weighted nymphs. I have fished a single beadhead nymph (size 12 hook, 1/8" brass bead, no lead) and the Ebisu handled it perfectly. I haven't tried a team of heavy nymphs with the either rod, but I think the Yamame would handle them better than the Ebisu. Also, when you start dragging heavy nymphs down among the boulders, you tend to catch bigger fish. I'm pretty sure the Yamame will handle bigger fish than the Ebisu, or at least handle them more easily. And no one's asking you to give up the other 20%. In any situation, you want to use the best tool for the job.

Actually, anyone who is interested in getting a tenkara rod should probably just call Daniel at Tenkara USA. He's just starting out so a lot of his business is going to be referrals and word of mouth. I'm pretty sure he's going to want happy customers, which means getting the rod that best suits the kind of fishing you'll be doing. I only know two of his rods. He know's 'em all.
    Last edited by CM_Stewart; 05-18-2009 at 03:15 AM.
    Tenkara Bum

Fishin' Jimmy

Here! Well a year has gone by now! LOOK at what WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!! Just when you thought that the wheel could not be revented!! IT is still round and we are all having fun and thinking of new ways of using this idea. I think it is great!

THe owner of FAOL get a big round of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from me for starting this converstion about fly fishing.

+ Reply to Thread