+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenkara USA (Japaneese Flyfishing)

Question Tenkara USA (Japaneese Flyfishing)

A New Company and a new way to go about casting a fly. Anybody have any thoughs about this?? I for one will give a report in a few weeks after I receive my NEW TENKARA ROD!

Fishin' Jimmy

Jimmy,

From the looks of it, it is an updated, modern technology loop rod from the 1600's. Besides the rod did you also order the lines and flies?

Looking forward to your report.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Fishin' Jimmy,

My thoughts are that you are going to love it. I've been fishing with a tenkara rod for over a year now and I cannot put into words how much the simplicity of the equipment and the fishing method appeals to me. I've got comments scattered across a half dozen forums now on tenkara fishing, but let me just say that the long rod and short line allow you to fish dries with minimal drag by keeping almost all the line off the water and you can guide wets and nymphs down current seams and around rocks in ways you just can't with a shorter rod and heavier line.

I would suggest a light tippet (I use 6x), and would keep the line plus tippet no more than a foot longer than the rod. One thing you'll find is that since you can't let a fish run, any fish larger than about 14" is going to really get the adrenaline pumping.

Because your casting distance is limited, you have to be stealthy, but you will be surprised at the number of fish you can catch close to you. I catch more fish with the tenkara rod than I did on my fly rod, and I think the improved presentation more than offsets the lack of casting distance.

Which rod did you get? I have two of his rods now (Ebisu 5:5 and Yamame 6:4). I really like the Ebisu and I just got the Yamame this week so I haven't even fished it yet but I'm as excited as you are. Did I say you're going to love it? You're going to love it.

Ron,

Conceptually, a tenkara rod is just a modern loop rod. Tenkara fishing in Japan is probably as old as loop rod fishing in England. Instead of wooden rods they used bamboo, but their lines were also made of horsehair. I was initially drawn to loop rods, but couldn't find any information other than Dame Juliana's Treatysse, Isaac Walton's Complete Angler, David Webster's The Angler and the Loop Rod, and of course Martin's The Fly Fisher's Craft. No one fishes a loop rod anymore (other than Darrel Martin, I guess), but tenkara fishing is alive and well in Japan, and will soon be in the US, too. It has all the simplicity of a loop rod, but it weighs a fraction as much and fits in a backpack. You can't beat it with a stick.
    Tenkara Bum

CM,

Being an ultralight fan I really like this idea for small streams/brooks. I also like longer rods on small streams although I've never used a 12 footer. I'm debating between trying the 5:5 and 6:4 so your opinion of the two rods will be valuable to me.

How do you handle large fish? I'm guessing it's ok in tiny streams since they don't typically run too far. In small to medium streams it's either get them into your net quickly before they get a chance to run or keep up with them or SNAP!

What type of fishing do you do with rod? (e.g. small streams, target small fish, brushy streams, overhead canopy issues).

Even gills would be fun on these rods. It also sounds like a nice rod to pack on my bike or take along while hiking since it collapses to 20". It could be the modern day Pocket Fisherman or at least Backpack Fisherman. Plus it's one form of fly fishing that's relatively inexpensive to try.

It's a very interesting concept and idea, as CM said, going back to the days of Walton/Cotton and Dame Juliana.

The rods pretty much seem to be a refined version of the telescoping fiberglass/graphite bream/crappie cane poles that have been around most sporting good stores forever. Granted the U.S. version is much less refined, but they usually sell for about $10 -

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0031278115799a.shtml

The one thing I do very much recognize is that the line is plain and simple what we call a furled leader. Again very traditional, something Isaac would instantly recognize. However it is a pretty expensive furled leader. I'll sell you one for $5.

The flies seem to be pretty much basic soft hackle type patterns for the most part.

I think it would be a fun way to fish in some situations, I'm not sure you can't come up with a slightly less refined set up for somewhere less than $20 if you would want to give it a try.
    Last edited by pszy22; 05-09-2009 at 10:20 AM.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

gzacckey,

I haven't fished the 6:4 yet so I can't compare them yet.

The two streams I fish the most are fairly small. In many spots on the stream I can wade along one bank and fish the other bank, and there are very few spots where I could not fish either bank by wading midstream. They are not terribly brushy, but there are trees and brush along the shores, and overhanging tree limbs that occasionally catch my rod tip as I play a fish. Heres I comment I made on another board with a pic from one of the streams: http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14 If the streams you will be fishing are pretty tight, the 11 foot model might be best for you. I don't have that one so I can't comment on it.

Obviously, with no reel, you cannot let a fish run. If it's big enough to break your tippet, it will. My biggest was a 17 1/2" that luckily chose to stay in a relatively small pool. A 15" fish will get your heart pumping, because you're not sure you'll be able to land it, but so far I haven't had problems doing so. The rods are supple enough that they protect light tippets very well. I only fish 6x (more on that later), but as a fish tries to run, the tension from the rod very gradually gets heavier and heavier, and because the rod is so long the tension is from above. It pulls the fish's head up and brings them to the surface. Even the browns seem to jump a lot. When was the last time you caught a fish you weren't sure you'd be able to land?

pszy22,

Yes, you can come up with a less refined version from Cabela's, and before I got my first tenkara rod that is just what I did. I started with a telescopic fiberglass pole like the one in your link. It was heavy and the action was such that it just couldn't cast a light line (the rod tip kept wiggling at the end of the cast, killing the line's momentum). They also have a graphite one, which I thought was fine until I got a real tenkara rod. They're just not the same. They're also not nearly as strong. I hooked the biggest trout of my life on a Cabela's pole, with 6.4# test tippet, and it broke the rod (that's why I went to 6x). There's a post on the Tenkara USA forum from a guy who caught a carp on his brand new tenkara rod, with 8# test tippet, and ended up breaking the line as he tried to drag the carp onto the shore. Ever try to break 8# test line with a steady pull? That's a strong rod (it also comes with a lifetime warranty, which the Cabela's doesn't have). Look, I'm all for saving pennies, but this is case where you really do get what you pay for.

I have no financial interest in Tenkara USA. I just love tenkara fishing. I have a couple of the Tenkara USA rods and I think they are good value for the money. I got here on a long path of trial and error, because at the time nobody sold tenkara rods in the US. Now they do, and I am just trying to let people learn from my trials (and errors).
    Tenkara Bum

I read somewhere that the best carbon fiber is made in Japan. Not surprising to hear that these rods are bullet proof.

Reading about some of the gear they have their tippet material is made by Gamma Technologies. I assume this is the same company that make the Frog Hair line of tippet. If so, great stuff.

Be sure to let us know your impression after you fished the rods.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart View Post

pszy22,

Yes, you can come up with a less refined version from Cabela's, and before I got my first tenkara rod that is just what I did. I started with a telescopic fiberglass pole like the one in your link. It was heavy and the action was such that it just couldn't cast a light line (the rod tip kept wiggling at the end of the cast, killing the line's momentum). They also have a graphite one, which I thought was fine until I got a real tenkara rod. They're just not the same. They're also not nearly as strong. I hooked the biggest trout of my life on a Cabela's pole, with 6.4# test tippet, and it broke the rod (that's why I went to 6x). There's a post on the Tenkara USA forum from a guy who caught a carp on his brand new tenkara rod, with 8# test tippet, and ended up breaking the line as he tried to drag the carp onto the shore. Ever try to break 8# test line with a steady pull? That's a strong rod (it also comes with a lifetime warranty, which the Cabela's doesn't have). Look, I'm all for saving pennies, but this is case where you really do get what you pay for.

I have no financial interest in Tenkara USA. I just love tenkara fishing. I have a couple of the Tenkara USA rods and I think they are good value for the money. I got here on a long path of trial and error, because at the time nobody sold tenkara rods in the US. Now they do, and I am just trying to let people learn from my trials (and errors).
    CM,

I'm sure the rods are a vast improvement. I was just struck by the similarities to both the origins of fly fishing and good old cane pole fishing. The thing I found most interesting was the use of the furled line. Looks like a fun way to fish.

Seems like a great way to Czech nymph.
    Last edited by pszy22; 05-10-2009 at 01:14 AM.

When My dad was a young kid, he hooked a carp on a tenkara pole. It was a strong fish, so he switched the rod over to his father, who landed the fish. I believe the tenkara rod originated during the time samuria were roming japan. The younger " soldiers" were not allowed to plactice fighting excesively because it was thought that they would overthrow hte emperor. Someone came up with the idea of fishing to practice sword fighting. The casting stroke of the long rods simulated the stroke of a real katana.

That's very interesting, especially to me since I practice both Iaido and fly fishing.

thanks!

+ Reply to Thread