+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6wt for trout???

Hybrid View

Default 6wt for trout???

I?ve got a nice 4wt medium rod that I like but would like to add another gun to the arsenal. The 4 wt medium rod is great for delicate presentations but when the wind is blowing or on larger rivers it is a challenge. I also enjoy bass fishing so I was wondering if any of you trout fish with a 6wt fast action rod. I thought this might be a good compromise for trout fishing on larger rivers or when the wind is blowing and could serve double duty as a ?light? bass rod. When I trout fish I?m mainly throwing size 14-18 drys and nymphs and just curious how this would ?fly? no pun intended on a 6wt fast action rod. Thanks for any input!

Tom

I use a fast action 6 wt, with 7 wt line for windy days. I think it works great for casting into the wind. I even use an 8wt occasionally for trout when i want to throw really big flies. However it would be overkill for size 14 flies.
    Last edited by MTSkibum; 05-08-2009 at 03:01 AM.

Question Maybe a 7

TomRC -

I do some trout fishing with a medium fast action Sage Fli 9' for 7 wt, for bigger water, bigger wind, bigger flies, and bigger fishies. I went to the 7 wt for conditions that really stressed my 5 wt ( and me ) but can fish small dries and nymphs as well as large nymphs and nymph tandems and streamers with it.

If the 6 wt you have in mind is also right for the bass fishing you want to do, go with the 6. If you would prefer a bigger rod than a 6 for the bass, consider a 7 wt - a 7 won't be a liability when chasing trout.

John
    The fish are always right.

Default 6wt

I think a 6wt would be about perfect for what you mention.

A 5wt would work almost as well for the trout fishing part, but all else being equal, a 6wt can handle more wind. It can also handle larger flies when you need that (good sized streamers, poppers and smaller bass bugs) due to the slightly heavier line.

Then again, many of the faster 5wt graphite rods around today are really 6wt's (or even 7wt's) to be truthful (as far as 30 feet of fly line loading the rod in an ideal fashion). So a fast 5wt could easily be overlined with a 6wt line when the need to toss larger flies arises.

Just some thoughts.

Tom

I use a Loomis Streamdance HLS 6wt routinely on the large trout rivers. It will throw a #6 streamer as well as lay a #18 parachute pattern out there just fine!
    The dainty line rods are reserved for small spring creeks for me.
    Mark 1:17

Thumbs up

Hey Darrin ... that's exactly what I'm using this year as my work horse trout rod!!! 6wt, 10 ft ... Casts like a dream!

I had one sent up 'cause Liliane sort of acquired the TFO Axiom 6wt. which is another fine rod for heavyweight trout (IMHO).

Oh, .. the 5 and 6 weights are our light weight rods
    Christopher Chin

I too use a 6 wt. fast action for trout fishing on windy days and when throwing streamers. I use flies in the 6 to 28 size range with this rod with no problem. For flies in the 16 and smaller size, I find using a furled leader works really well.
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 05-08-2009 at 10:05 PM.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread