+ Reply to Thread

Thread: May stocking *sigh*

Hybrid View

Default May stocking *sigh*

Well I saw on the DNR site they stocked my creek today. So I go down to see if I can even fish.
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...routstock.html
    I get down there, only to see this.

That's about the same water clarity and color of the lakes and streams around here, all year long!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Angry

bout the same here Pan.........and they have all but stopped stocking..........not been a good start for sure. Low water temps, then high water temps..rain up the wazoo........and so it goes..........Ed

Man, youse guys need to be in Idaho! Right now the South Fork of the Snake River is blown out at between 17,000 and 20,000 cfs, but all other waters that are open are fishing well, in fact, they're fishing downright to perfection.
    Not to rub salt in the wound, but here's something that might help you through this until things clear up.
    In the meantime a dark, weighted brown or black rubberlegs ought to do the trick through that slop.

Good Luck,

Kelly

Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Red face Look at the silver lining!

Hi Panfisha,

There is a bright side to your coffee-colored water. First, it will keep a lot of anglers at home. Second, as I'm sure you know, fish don't mind a little mud. One of the standard reservoir tricks is to fish the muddy points for hybrids and LMB. It isn't pretty but it's definitely fishable. 8T

6. Default

Hey panfisha,

That could be any number of the smaller streams I fish in Maryland. Is that Baltimore/Harford county, or Howard/Montgomery/Anne Arundel?

Steve
    Bel Air, MD

Default I thought it was just here!

Yesterday my son and I participated in an educational program through the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Comission. It was very interesting, the kids got to dig around in a good trout stream, looking for all kinds of life. They found caddis larva, emergers, stonefly larva, crayfish, and all sorts of other things. Water temp was 57, 13% dissolved oxygen, pH of 7. Some trout are stocked in this stream, but I had to ask why we have 2 local lakes, both shallow and mostly mud filled, that get stocked with over 10,000 trout each? The bottom line is that on opening day of trout season, there are a lot of people out there trying to catch their limit to take home, and even if that is the only time they fish for trout, they spend a lot of money on licenses. The system doesn't always make sense to guys like me who would rather see them spend more on improving good cold streams, and extending the favorable environment that would result in returning our waterways to what they once were.

I noted that when William Penn first got this land, every stream in the state was full of brook trout.... the lady from the state just nodded her head.

+ Reply to Thread