+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (A bit off topic) Gerstner box.

Hybrid View

Default (A bit off topic) Gerstner box.

I've been looking for a way to keep my tying supplies and tools organized for quite a while now. I've tried many options but have yet to find one that not only works, but that is good looking too.

After some browsing I came along Gerstner boxes. They are beautiful and have that legendary feel to them. Like museum-pieces-to-be. However I find them terribly expensive for my budget. Also, considering I will need to have it shipped overseas...

Does any body know of some other brand or maker that builds this kind of boxes but with a "smaller" price tag?

Also if you have some feedback on this kind of boxes, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Dave.
    Last edited by dphotoco; 05-07-2009 at 02:57 AM.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94538

While I'm not saying it is equal, it is a tad cheaper.

BUT...

Even though I lusted for a box like that for years, at this point in my tying life I'd need about 100 of them to store all of my tools & supplies. Beauty and elegance are great when it comes to storing stuff, but practicality and having adequate space for future growth wins hands down.

Just a thought....

I picked up a used Gerstner box with the thought of doing the same ---the drawers are very shallow and soon concluded that, at best, i could use it for a very heavy travel kit. My tying stuff can fill a closet with a little falling out. Now im happy keeping my tying threads organized and a box for good necks.
    I think this stuff proliferates while I sleep.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94538

While I'm not saying it is equal, it is a tad cheaper.

BUT...

Even though I lusted for a box like that for years, at this point in my tying life I'd need about 100 of them to store all of my tools & supplies. Beauty and elegance are great when it comes to storing stuff, but practicality and having adequate space for future growth wins hands down.

Just a thought....
    Wow Booz...that's scarry! $79.00...against the (last time I looked) $350 Gerstners.

dp, I agree with these guys. I manage my stuff all in a larger students desk and stackable, plastic, mass produced (inexpensive) boxes. If I travel some I figure what I'll need and use a larger stiff sided travel bag for the vise and materials.

I have done a lot of custom woodworking and could well (I didn't say easily) make one of these Gerstner style, quality boxes. They seem simple but they aren't...they're actually very finely made, hence the price. But to see a similar one going for $79 is eye opening.

A long time back I called and spoke w/a Gerstner rep about securing (their) hardware. Unbeknownst to them, I was going to build myself a custom box due to their costs. They wouldn't budge unless I had the orig. older hardware to send in so they would do replacement. The rep said something about some guys out there trying to replicate their boxes and they wouldn't have that!

I responded with a "Nah....really??" *G*

I have a very old toolmakers box that I unfortunately didn't save the old hardware from when I did a total rebuild/refinish on it. The cheapo available hardware is not even close.....

Jeremy.

Normand Guest

they sure do look pretty but they are not practical for storing fly tying materials. and way too heavy for a travel box.

i'd need a 100+ of them like bamboozle for all of my stuff

Ok guys!

thanks

guess the wooden box idea will have to be discarded. oOh, but it looks so d... good.

D.

It loooooks soooo gooood tooo meee toooo....

+ Reply to Thread