+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smallmouth Bass and Rod Weight

Hybrid View

Default Smallmouth Bass and Rod Weight

I have a chance to go smallmouth fishing for the first time, and I want to know what rod weight is appropriate. Will I be under equipped with a 5 wt.? Many people in Texas, where I live, suggest an 8 wt. or larger for any kind of bass, but I prefer casting a lighter rod if possible. In your opinion, what is the ideal length and weight for smallmouth fishing?

Thanks,

John

Quote Originally Posted by jcblackmon View Post
    I have a chance to go smallmouth fishing for the first time, and I want to know what rod weight is appropriate. Will I be under equipped with a 5 wt.? Many people in Texas, where I live, suggest an 8 wt. or larger for any kind of bass, but I prefer casting a lighter rod if possible. In your opinion, what is the ideal length and weight for smallmouth fishing?

Thanks,

John
    For all around smallie fishing I like the 7wgt the best. Backbone when you need it but sensitive for smallies species as well. On larger water the 8 would do you well, but if you're going to mix differnet size bodies of water take a look at a 7.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Thanks,

John

IMO, an 8 wt is overkill for smallies. I usually use either a 6 or 7. Depending on what you plan on throwing at them, a five weight is not out of the question (I've caught quite a few on a 5.) It'll definitely handle the fish, but not necessarily the size bugs you want to throw.

Default Bass rod weight

In my part of Texas I mostly cast a 6 wt. Its a little overkill for some of the pan fish and smaller bass but when you hook up on that 3 or 4 pounder lurking in the stumps your glad you have it. Another plus is it cast better in our typical windy conditions. With the exception of a day here or there the wind is constant in south Texas. One day from the north west , next day from the south east. I prefer casting a 4 wt. when I can. For me light rod plus big fish equals fun fishing. Just my opinion.

A six weight I think is about the best all-around rod for smallies. You can get by with a 5 weight, depending on the size flies you're planning on throwing. If you're fishing a smaller creek, with smaller fish, and can get away with throwing smaller flies, then a 5 weight will do just fine.

I use a 5 line with a 7 foot fiberglass rod and I throw some pretty big flies. My favorite stream isn't that big but I still get some casts out 50 feet or better. Works well for me and while I'm not bragging some of the smallies are in the 18-20 inch range.

I prefer a 6wt, which will handle the larger fish well enough. The only reasons to go heavier would be to throw large, wind resistant bugs, or if you are fishing a fairly windy river. For small stream smallies, I often fish a 4wt.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

If I had to choose only one rod, it would be a 7wt. But variety is nice, so I fish with a fast 6wt for topwater poppers, etc and a fast 8wt for heavy, large weighted streamers.
    I used to think anything above a 6wt was overkill for river smallies, but not anymore. I fish a river that has a canyon-like feature and the wind coming up the canyon is a normal visitor. Puls, heavy weighted streamers, big flies, are commonly thrown too, and the 8wt excels. The rod weight is not necessarily for the fish but for throwing the big, weighted flies. I've worked my arm off before trying to throw big heavy flies on the 6wt when a 8wt will make your day alot easier. Of course I'm usually fishing from a cataraft and carrying 2 rods at the ready is no problem. If I had to choose only one, it would be in the middle, a 7wt.
    Mark 1:17

Thanks,

John
    Hi John,

I'm new to smallmouth fishing also and am trying to figure this rod, line weight question out. Fishing bamboo makes it a little more difficult.

A bunch of fine replies and suggestions so far.

Been doing a lot of backyard casting with different rods and lines. This is absolutely no substitute for being on the water.

We'll figure it out. Right now I'm leaning toward a 8 1/2' Phillipson Dry Fly Special (impregnated) with a Cortland 444 DT7. But I won't know for sure until I get it on the water. The water being a big determining factor also.

Oh well. lots of fun just trying to figure this smallmouth fishing out!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

It really depends on what you are fishing with. Big surface poppers and sliders and big streamers would infer an 8 wt. If you're using smaller poppers and streamers (12 and under) I'd use a 6 wt. 5 wt is pushing it, but it's doable.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread